KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bus driving in the Philippines

I see the BBC has just made a very interesting programme about toughest jobs. The toughest bus driving job in the world is driving a jeepney in the Philippines. Especially over-populated Manila. I have been riding jeepneys there since 1983. Any KBGS lads had a go before that.

Current location (optional) London

Re: Bus driving in the Philippines

I reckon a Jeepney would be a doddle to autorickshaw driving in Bombay. The last time we were ther, my wife screamed incessantly whilst we were driving, and she was born and brought up there

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

There is only one thing worse than driving a jeepney and that is being 6 foot 2inches tall and sat in the back of one.

I have just been on one once - never again !!
Tuk-Tuk's in Bangkok are about the only thing worse!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I wish I knew what a jeepney is.My wife and I had a hairy experience on a person-powered trike in Georgetown,Penang. Passengers sit in the double seat at the front with the pedaler (?) behind. It was only half-way through our sortie that we realised why the triker had insisted to me "You sit there - you got fat hass-holl" and why he was sweating so much. He had sat my wife on the side where he had a flat tyre. The terrifying thing was when he ventured out at a junction into the oncoming traffic at 2 mph, we were in the van and vulnerable.I think he closed his eyes.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

http://www.rjose.com/Fly2Philippines/Images/Jeepney.jpg
they look splendid but man they are a tight fit.