KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
KBGS old boy hits the ton

I have just read in the Keighley News online that Arthur Bailey from Long Lee has celebrated his 100th birthday this week. I never knew the gentleman but anyone that lives so long and keeps as active as he does, and is a Keighlian, has my best wishes. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: KBGS old boy hits the ton

Well now, I didn't know he was still with us, Bill! I hasten to add that I never knew him personally, though for a certain period in my life I was aware of him. I think for a long time - presumably up to retirement - he was Number One at the CO-OP in Keighley. I did, however, know his son, Malcolm - and indeed, so would a lot more of our posters for he figures on several photographs in our pictorial archive, a very good cricketer. A lovely lad who won a scholarship to Cambridge, but then for some reason or other his world fell apart and he ended eventually by taking his own life. A real tragedy.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

I am saddened to read Doug's posting about Malcolm Bailey. His dad, Arthur, was known to my dad, especially as we lived in a Co-op house.

Malcolm, who was nicknamed "Arthur" after his dad, was a stout member of Longsdon House and School sport. He played both rugby and cricket for the house in the year we won the shield (59-60). We opened the innings together for the school in season 1960 but he won the bat for the best bat that season.
Academically, I believe mathematics was his main strength.We were in our last year of the 6th together but I didn't learn of his fate until Doug's posting.
He was a cheerful, reliable credit to his family and school and a good life lost to us all.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Arthur Bailey gave me my first job.

Was John Bailey(in my year) a younger brother of Malcolm ? He and I were the only two from KBGS to start at Nottm Uni in 1965, but we were in different Hall of Residence, and reaidng different subjects and I lost track of him after a while.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I think not, Brian, as far as I remember Malcolm was an only child.

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

John Bailey was a Haworth lad

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth