KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Postcard from Kirkcudbright: my left pedal came out...

In case anyone is wondering why I posted this, I just thought it was a nice slice of life from 70 years ago.
Not really a Haiku but a revealing few sentences: use of language, worry about the 1/9 repair cost and communication by letter/postcard prior to emails.

At least you can handle the postcard which your father sent all that time ago. This present lot will not have a thing to connect them to the past as by the time they want to look back the mechanism for doing so will be out of action and superseded by something about the size of a full stop.
i write this as the proud possessor of a collection of postcards sent by both my and my wife's grandparents dating back to the 1890's.I also have all the postcards of a couple of aunties and both sets of parents from the 1910-1960's, and every one that I received for the past 70 yrs.
Many of the messages were sent around late afternoon to say they would be calling next morning so that shows how slick the post system was then.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I wonder if he realised that the left hand pedal had a left hand thread. He may have knackered it trying to screw it back in.
I'll be driving down Beech St shortly. I'll pop in and ask.

He wasn't mechanically minded, so you could be right IW!