KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
good fun

I clicked on the featured photo to have a fuller look at Messrs Marston, Liddemore and Seeley and up pops Frizzie. Tried again and same result. oh dear, not being a techie I am just having a laugh at the transmogrification of these three characters into Frizzie, at one time the terror of my life. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: good fun

My Dad used to talk of Frizzie in like-terms - though I guess she was more nubile in his days than yours, Bill !?

I reckon my dad was at Keighley Trade and Grammar School from circa 1922 to 1927. I still have some of his Shakespeare texts.

Some of the same teachers were still in service when I was admitted in 1952 - happily/sadly not Frizzie !

What a disaster that the old grammar school records were ditched when the school became Oakbank in the sixties. Does Ian Dewhirst know of any secreted in the Keighley Carnegie archives - before the latest Vandals blast them out of existence?

My Dad spoke proudly of headmaster TP Watson and of his own membership of Longsdon House. I was chuffed to bits to lift the House Shield for Longsdon House in 1960 as House Captain and to hold the Longsdon House Cup.

After school, my dad later studied in the Tech Coll in the Mechanics Institute under Principal Healey (Denis' dad)for the apprenticeship he served at Prince Smith and Stells leading to his wartime work at John Smith's Cranes.

When he saw my school reports, he would show me his gnarled hands and say "You don't want hands like these, lad" - leaving me to grasp what he meant - and I did.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Like Bill , Frizzie was also feared during my time at school She always carried a book, held between her thumb and palm , and walked down the rows as we bent over doing history and without warning would thwack you on the back of the head if your work was not up to scratch.
I can picture her now ,amazing how this can be after 67yrs.

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Many's the time I have seen her pull a student out of his desk by the ear or the hair. This time last year we had a visit from Kenneth Clay, ex Haworth, now Silsden and we were talking about Frizzie and how we were scared stiff of her and he recalled an incident where she was in full flight raging on about summat, and in her exasperation at one lad she screamed at him " for two pins I could kill you".(or similar threat) Imagine how she was further enraged when the lad placed two pins on the desk in front of her! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

She had a peevish streak when she would hide a pencil along her index finger and then poke you in the chest. You thought 'God, what a finger!' and it really hurt. Often you got it for no good reason that I could recall.

A few images were over-written because posters were using duplicate file names. This is now prevented. If the owners of the "missing" images could email them to me I will restore the images.