KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Ashes

Let me see if I have got this right,Arthur. The bowler takes what he believes is a fair catch. He cannot,however,pre-judge the umpires decision on the matter for a number of reasons, so the bowler breaks the wicket of the non receiving batsman to be on the safe side! The bowler still cannot be sure of the decision over the "catch" so appeals the more likely run out. Which as far as I can see must be given.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I still maintain an appeal is an appeal to the umpire - to make a decision on the play he has seen.

No player can dictate to the umpire that he should make a decision on "this" but he can't on "that". If he's seen something, he has to take it into account. Once you appeal, you are in the hands of the umpire and he will decide on what he has seen and should take events into account sequentially.

How many times has a batsman, playing forward to spin bowling, been appealed for LBW and been given out caught for a pad/bat deflection the bowler did not see? The batsman may or may not have been plumb, but, if the umpire disagrees with the LBW appeal, he will still find for the catcher who may not be aware that he caught the ball off the bat. The umpire responds to the appeal and decides on all he has seen.Modern fielders would probably like to make an appeal "in the alternative".However, the game is not like the civil courts where the judge and jury make a decision on the case as pleaded - even if they can see another possibly more successful case, not pleaded.

The umpire decides on all that he has seen - not just an incident selected by a player. If he doesn't, he should - in the interests of "cricket".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

OK Terry but in my scenario the umpires did not see if the catch was taken cleanly for whatever reason.......?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Good job the umpire wasn't Arthur. The decision would have been "bad light stopped play".

I think I may have spilled this once previously ....
I remember Jim Wilkinson (ex-Preef) returning to school (after a few years away) as a member of the teaching staff. He was appointed to umpire a Longsdon v Brigg housematch after school at Keighley CC, Lawkholme Lane.
We had a good opening attack - Alec Stone and Alec Bailey.
Alec Stone hit the pads and appealed "Owzat, Jim?"
Instant reply from Jim, "Not out - and less of the bloody 'Jim' !!"
I wanted to refer it. :-)

Hey, Pete Carr (The Ashes originator) - that one Tyke (I will call him Brezhnev) did some stuff in only 2 matches and maybe still more to come in this one.

It doesn't become the English to gloat in victory but if you paste in the url below and watch, you won't feel so bad if you do.

Just paste in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bDStlZxeI

But beware - scenes of nudity and some really NAUGHTY WORDS. You have been "warne" d.

We batted well, we bowled well, we fielded well but at the end it was all quite easily done.

What do you call an Australian who can handle a bat ? A vet

What do you call an Australian with a bottle of Champagne in his hand ?? A waiter

What do you call an Australian cricketer with 100 beside his name ?? A bowler

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

There's more.........

Q. What do you call an Aussie who can hold a catch?
A. A fisherman

Q. Why can no one drink wine in Australia at the moment?
A. They don't have any openers

Q. What's the difference between Cinderella and the Aussies?
A. Cinderella knew when to leave the ball

Q. What do you call a world class Australian cricketer?
A. Retired

Guy walks into a brothel and says: "I'm a bit kinky, how much for TOTAL humiliation?"

The Madam replies: "$60"

"Wow what do I get for that?" the punter enquires.

"A baggy green cap and an Australian Cricket shirt" she replies.

They just had to come.............

"punter" being a good choice

Ashes to Ashes, dust to dust, bejabers !!

Better dig out your whites and boots Terry !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Bejabers Derek, the Irish won !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I notice that the cheeky chappies at Ryanair have put the following on their website;
"Visit Ireland, home of Cricket"!

We're doing it again, 129-0, 176 all out!