KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Biennial Reunion 2011

I shall shortly be contacting KRUFC to fix a date for next year's reunion - the ninth in the series - and unless I hear otherwise from our contributors am proposing to stay with the first or second Friday in September. Let me know if you think there is a strong case for changing the date.

An idea that has been brewing among some of us is that we might mount a small exhibition of paintings and photographs (and any other small art or craft artefacts, for that matter) on the day - always presuming, of course, that there are no objections on the part of our hosts. I'd be interested to hear from anyone (either via this thread or by email: a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk)who might wish to contribute to such a show.

If there is any other idea anyone would like to float about the reunion then this would be the place.

Thanks
Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Re: Biennial Reunion 2011

I'm building a scale model of Leeds Town Hall out of ear wax. Will that do?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Alec Jackson
I'm building a scale model of Leeds Town Hall out of ear wax. Will that do?

So what's wrong wi' Keighley's (apart from being defunct)? Bloody pretentious, that's what!

But seriously (if you'll permit me the extra line), I sometimes use candle wax in watercolours - thanks Alec, I can see quite a saving there.

Doug

Always glad to be of help, Doug. I am more familiar with Leeds because that's where I usually end up on Boat Race night!

By the way, the post(wo)man delivered the package. I didn't realise it cost extra to get the author to sign the flyleaf.

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Now there you have me featherlegged (dost knaw that expression, young Alec?) Leeds on boat race night? No satnavs on the Thames then?

Being a modest sort of chap... I don't flaunt the signature. If tha'd ony said! Bring t'book to't'reunion and tha can 'ave it signed fer nowt... though you may not want that after you've read it (if you got it to read, that is).

Doug

While this thread is departing somewhat from the original entry, I too have used earwax to break the surface tension of home-made gesso and thus remove the tiny air bubbles which can spoil the smooth surface when laying gold leaf on my calligraphy.

Current location (optional) Oz

It is now confirmed that the 2011 Reunion will take place on Friday, 2nd September, at the usual venue - Keighley Rugby Union Club House, between mid-day and 5pm. The cost per head will be £14.50 for the same popular kind of meal we were treated to in 2009.

The exhibition of paintings, photographs, earwax scale models of Bradford Town Hall &etc &etc can go ahead if there is enough interest. Anyone who would like to contribute please contact me:

a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk

Doug

The Rachel 'thread' appears to have received an interesting number of 'hits' and replies of late and made me wonder if it would be an idea to invite the 'young lady' to this year's Reunion on Sept.2nd. She might be willing to provide a few 'items of interest'from her Archives for those attending, which in turn, would stimulate and revive some fading memories. What do you think?
Have you started taking monies yet, Doug? Cheques payable to whom and where? And are going to bring with you some copies of your book(To the Great Sea)? I shall certainly have one from you. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley(still)

David, thanks for your reminder and the timely bringing of the 'reunion' thread to the top of the list again. In fact, I invited Rachel to the reunion early on in the 'Rachel' thread and she said she would like to come. I am late in getting out the letters this year, though not entirely because other things have got in my way. A couple of people suggested at the last reunion that I had sent out the reminders too early and that they easily got forgotten. March was my target date this time, but, yes, here we are in April... Watch this space!!!

Doug

Should anyone wish to come to this year's reunion please contact me at:

a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk

and I'll let you have details and form.

Forms to reach me before 26 August 2011.

Doug

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

How are ticket sales going Doug?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Better than the 2012, I warrant. !!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Buoyant, Denis. Much better than at this point two years ago. As they say in the adverts "Don't be disappointed; book your place now!" - the KRUFC clubhouse space is not infinite, unless we spill out onto the field.

' Don't be disappointed - Book your place now!'
Is this meant as encouragement in general to all OB's still ambulant, continent, capable of doing justice to an excellent lunch and of reasonably sound mind to come on board - or is it meant for my eyes only? I thought that I'd prepaid some time ago.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Fret you not, Denis; you did, and as far as I'm concerned your passages are booked! My harangue was intended only to encourage those intending to come not to leave it too late.

Doug

Passages.

Current location (optional) Lincoln

That had me a bit worried, Terry.

Always best to keep hold of the thread... ticket...buoyant...on board...passages (the plural based on classified, insider information)... otherwise yes, you might well have cause to worry...

One possible, real cause for worry (it has been suggested) is that early on I mentioned a price of £14.50 (the actual cost of the meal), but the invitation letter asks for £16.50. The discrepancy arises because in my earlier posting I completely forgot to include a contribution to the by-now traditional grat for the caterers, and to postage and stationery for the more than one hundred letters we send out. We have no funds other than what we charge for the event which, alas, only those choosing to be at the reunions share. Without the letters the demise of the event would come sooner rather than later, I think.

Doug

As I shall be out of the country from the end of this week until 13 August no cheques sent in payment for the forthcoming Reunion lunch will be processed. I shall attend to them as soon as possible after I get back. But don't let that deter you...

Doug

A reminder about the 2nd September Reunion should be appearing in the 'Keighley News' later this week.

I am so sorry that I shall be unable to be with you all again this year; two reasons,in order,it is my wife's birthday and I shall be recovering from a minor op I am having on August 31. I shall think of you all Friday lunchtime and make a vow (deo volente)to be with you in 2013.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Like Tom I will not be at the reunion next week . I so enjoyed the last one in 2009 , which was the last time I saw my brother Peter. This site has been a great joy to me to read about the memories of the school from all the old boys has been wonderful Living as I do on the other side of the world I had given up hope of making any contact until this site appeared so thank you Chris for taking on the project in memory of your father .
I look forward to 2013 when I will make every effort to be at the next reunion , may even see some of the Ashes Tests too .

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Dear Mike

Sorry you and Mary can't make it this time, but we shall look forward to seeing you in 2013. Talking of the Ashes, Gill and I spent a super morning earlier this month at the MCG Sports and cricket museum. Having opted not to take the guided tour, four or five of the guides, 'scenting' that we were Poms, battened on to us and gave us the tour (and more besides) anyway. Thanks to Bill Walsh, incidentally, for suggesting we visit the museum, even before our last trip 'downunder', over a year ago.

Doug

Hi Doug
Pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Museum visit at the MCG. I was impressed with the guides too who are ready to chat and make visitors welcome. Did you manage to take in an Aussie Rules match? Now that is something a bit different for a Pommy visitor!! Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Well, Bill, we borrowed a house from friends who are Geelong supporters, but only saw games on tv - fast and furious, it seems to be a mirror image of 'real' rugby, forward passes are 'de rigeur', you can knock-on to your heart's content, off-side is a way of life... Am I beginning to understand it, would you say?

Must tell you, though. Last March (2010) we decided to go to the MCG as a part of my birthday celebrations, but after a rather lengthy lunch on South Bank we set off a bit late. We went by the scenic route i.e. the wrong side of the river, so by the time we actually got to the stadium (the wrong side of the stadium) it was already late, and by the time we got round to the right side - where a few doors were open, we were told the museum had closed 20 minutes ago. Gill knew how much I'd set me heart on it, so she pleaded with the man, and in sheer desperation she ended by saying 'It's his 70th birthday, isn't there anything you can show us?' To which he replied "Oh, all right then, you can come in and watch the last two hours of the game if you like". Victoria were playing against Queensland, so we got a couple of beers and settled down to a great pleasure - the more so since it was free! I never dreamt as a kid that I'd ever sit in that great Cricket Mecca and watch a Sheffield Shield match! It made my day!

Doug

It is sure a great experience to enjoy a day at the "G'. Geelong happens to be MY team,as that is where I lived in my years in OZ and I try to visit every couple of years, and of course that is where Trevor Pickles lives. Imagine my joy as a teen in the mid 50s wtching England, well MCC, going through the Aussies. Hutton, May, Cowdrey, Trueman, et al. It was good to be a pom in those days. Mind you, as my Aussie mates said at the time, "enjoy it while you can!" Cheers Doug, you might end up an Aussie yet! Regards, Bill

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Lest I forget over the next three days, ( which I am not likely to), to those of you who will be attending please convey my regards and best wishes to all. Advise them that I am fit and well and content and will sorely miss their company as much as I shall miss that wonderful buffet. Enjoy your selves and the day. Arthur

I'll add your name to the list of well-wishers to be read out to the (reduced) number of participants. We shall miss you too, Arthur, but David will be keeping the Seeley flag flying!

Bill, it was at Trevor Pickles's house I saw Geelong Cats winning on tv - no option but to see it as Gail, Trevor's wife, is a fanatical supporter! T & G should be just about touching down at Tullamarine after their month-long trip over this side - so welcome home to them (when Trevor catches up on his email).

Doug

Doug

I too send my best wishes for a pleasant evening. I am normally in W Yorks Tues-Thurs every week, but not Fridays.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

It was a real good do. Thanks to Doug for organising it. Met Roy Butterfield whom I had not seen for 46 years. Brilliant!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I will second that with the greatest of pleasure. My compliments also go to the caterers for an excellent meal!

D'accord Sean and Alec - and thanks also, Gill, and to all who turned up - without whom it would have been a non-event. Good to see the usual suspects and some unexpected characters from the past - viz Bruce Grime whom I recall was a regular but of Albert's (good-humoured??) victimization. Good to see you, Bruce? Can you make the next one?

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Anyone took some photos to add to the website?

And is it possible to list the attendees?

Thanks
Chris

As at the 2009 reunion I was the youngest one there. No one from my year or later turned up. If this carriesn on I can envisage a time when only myself and Spike will be there.

Current location (optional) Under the stairs.

Alec,

I may attend the next one. Although I am not an Old Boy, I would be the youngest there!

Cheers
Chris

I'll hold you to that,Chris.

Current location (optional) Under the stairs.

Here! Here!

Current location (optional) Nirvana

Chris, apologies that our contribution to the photographic record has gone up only now, but we went off for a fortnight's holiday in Greece the day after the event and so had no time then. A pity really because I should have liked to send the group photo to the 'Keighley News'. Too late now, I fear.

Alec and David, however, filled in where Gill and I failed on the website. Our thanks to both.

I shall get a list of participants to you next week.

Doug