KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A story for Christmas

My short novel, "To the Great Sea: A Story for Christmas", has just been published. Our own Trevor Pickles, 'Downunder', has designed a cracking cover for it.

'Sensing he has fallen from favour and that his life may be forfeit, a high-ranking minister flees his homeland, entering into the wilderness. Chance knowledge and a chance meeting change the course of his journey and of his life, leading him onto the stage of what many have argued was the most significant event in the history of mankind.'

Should anyone wish for more details then please contact me on: a.d.thompson@hull.ac.uk

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, E. Yorkshire

Re: A story for Christmas

Congratulations , Doug. Well done!

Two people who have responded to my earlier posting suggest that I have been a bit parsimonious with information about "To the Great Sea".

OK. Firstly, it is not a children's 'story for Christmas'. It is 70pp in length and is followed by a 'taster' chapter from my forthcoming, much longer novel, "On Stradbroke Island". It will shortly be available on Amazon and from all the mainline book stores. At the moment I can supply it more cheaply than they will (£6 inc. p + p within the UK).

It is a re-writing of the myth of the so-called 'Three Kings' or 'Magi', though in my version they aren't all kings or magi and as for their travelling together... well, not really; just chance and a search for answers to questions they only vaguely understand, if at all.

Doug

Hi Doug

Well done on writing a couple of novels. I must admit to a certain curiosity about Stradbroke Island. I have happy memories of that lovely place where many years ago I enjoyed the largest pieces of steak I have ever seen in my life.

I haven't attempted a novel but I have managed a couple of biographies. One of growing up in Yorkshire 1936-54 and I am just tidying up the photos in my recollections of my life as a Pommy migrant to Australia in 1954. It's an exercise I can recommend. The recollection of one event triggers more and so it goes on. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Just seen your rejoinder, Bill. I think you wouldn't recognise Straddie now. My first visit was in '98 and I had to wait another ten years before I went there again, and in that time it had become very much a weekenders' holiday patch, even in the Aussie 'winter'. It's had quite a history, including lunatic asylum and penal settlement. My own interest springs from its days as a quarantine station, newly declared in the early months of 1850, just in time to receive the stricken 'Emigrant', which arrived there from Plymouth, in July, with typhus on board. And that's where my novel starts.

Autobiography is difficult and I wouldn't attempt it myself, except minimally. I have found, from reading biographies of poets, novelists and cricketers whom I have admired that their written 'lives' tended to make for rather dull, often repetitive reading - unlike their 'creative' work, whether with pen, bat or ball. It needs a lot of emphasis on 'licence' rather than on 'truth' to be really successful, I think - taking it then at least half way to being a novel. I cannot think of a biography I have read that I would ever want to read again.

Doug

This title is now also available on Amazon for any who are interested (ISBN 978-0-9567477-0-9).

Doug

Thanks David and Terry for passing on Bill's message. I did in fact know about the association of the Three Wise Men with Yorkshire - funnily enough, that's what this book is all about!

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Doug

READ ALL ABOUT IT !!

this

Well Done Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Yes Doug, well done. It was a good write up in the Keighley News. I hope that it is selling well for you. Cheers, Bill.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I hope I am not the only one who has read Doug’s book. It is a fascinating take on the star-followers from the East who chance to meet in search of some deliverance from their successful but unfulfilled lives: one young, one middle aged and one old; a king, a minister and a priest; none sure what to make of the powerful presence but seeming banality of the mother and child they find when the star stops.
And Trevor’s brilliant cover captures exactly the mirage-like uncertainty of the journey’s meaning to them.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com

Thanks Gareth,
I should point out that the actual painting used on the cover is by author/artist Doug. I simply arranged the elements and the typography.