KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Len Hutton speaks

Hear what a Yorkshireman sounded like in 1938 here

Re: Len Hutton speaks

Very interesting Chris. I saw the great man only once, when my dad took me to Bradford Park Avenue to se Yorks v Australia (approx 1956/7). Ray Lindwall (another great) got him out third ball , so I didnt see much of him !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Many thanks for that Chris.For lads of my era, Len Hutton was our hero. I think it was either 1951 or 52 that he presented the end of season awards and was guest speaker at Oxenhope Cricket Club and junior players from other clubs in the area were invited. Len signed every autograph book and shook hands with each one of us. What a lovely man. I still have that autograph tucked away. I was fortunate to see him play in Australia after I moved there in '54 and also most of those who made comments especially Benaud and Davidson. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I think, Brian, the game you saw at Bradford was in 1953.
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1953/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_YORKS_06-08MAY1953.html

Lindwall dismissed Sir Len again (this time second ball) in the 1953 Headingley Test in July on the first day.
http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/20/20779.html

The first 4 1953 tests were drawn until the final test at The Oval which England won to regain The Ashes. Hutton, of course, was series captain and one of the several Yorkshire captains of England to regain The Ashes only to let non-Tyke skippers surrender them.If only Brian Close had been more favoured by the MCC establishment!!

I doubt you saw Hutton at Park Avenue in 1956 as he didn't play. Frank Lowson and Doug Padgett opened for Yorkshire who declared at 120 for 9 and then proceeded to dismiss the Aussies for 94 - Wardle and Appleyard (still golfing at Ilkley) sharing 9 wickets.
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1956/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_YORKS_09-11MAY1956.html

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

T Marston
I think, Brian, the game you saw at Bradford was in 1953.
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1953/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_YORKS_06-08MAY1953.html

Lindwall dismissed Sir Len again (this time second ball) in the 1953 Headingley Test in July on the first day.
http://www.cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/20/20779.html

The first 4 1953 tests were drawn until the final test at The Oval which England won to regain The Ashes. Hutton, of course, was series captain and one of the several Yorkshire captains of England to regain The Ashes only to let non-Tyke skippers surrender them.If only Brian Close had been more favoured by the MCC establishment!!

I doubt you saw Hutton at Park Avenue in 1956 as he didn't play. Frank Lowson and Doug Padgett opened for Yorkshire who declared at 120 for 9 and then proceeded to dismiss the Aussies for 94 - Wardle and Appleyard (still golfing at Ilkley) sharing 9 wickets.
http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1950S/1956/AUS_IN_ENG/AUS_YORKS_09-11MAY1956.html

I was at that match in 1953. A couple of memories~ A young chap called (Michael?) Cowan opened the bowling for Yorkshire, maybe have been his debut, and I think he went 4 or 5 overs before they scored off him. It was Ian Craigs first tour for Aussie at the young age of 17 or 18 ( memory). Other memory is of Keith Miller hitting a straight 6 back over the bowler's head over the grandstand into the football ground.Great memories. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Thanks for that, Bill.
My most memorable six hit at that ground was by Brian Close. From the football end to the pavilion - it cleared the upstretched hand of the bowler and never rose or fell until it smacked into the whitened pavilion wall just above head height to the right of the gate. The members in the pavilion had heavy laundry requirements the following day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I first saw Len Hutton playing for Pudsey-St-Lawrence in the Bradford League against Keighley. The year was 1945 and he had been demobbed from the army for some time with his injured arm His brother George was in the team too and I got both autographs in my book which I still have. Didn't see much of his batting as he was bowled for a duck by F. S. Brown who was , I think, a Yorks. Minor Counties player . The Keighley team had Eddie Paynter, Mannie Martindale [West Indies fast bowler]in at the time .
I also saw him play in the Victory Test at Headingley against the Australian Eleven which was made up of serving Australians from the Armed Services in the UK , mainly RAAF. This included Lindsy Hasset and Keith Miller . The grounds were packed against Yorkshire too .Then followed a team from India , about 1946 . They played Yorkshire at Bradford Park Avenue . The big match of note was against the Aussies in the Test at Headingly in 1948 with Don Bradman too .We sat on the pitch overflowing from the seats [Wooden Planks] around the ground.
Thanks for the memories Chris

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Yes thats probably it , must have been younger than I thought when Dad (still with us!) took me there

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral