KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Masters on the Cricket Field-1947

I refer to the photograph which appears on our Website under 'Cricket' dated 1947, showing a number of teachers at the Keighley CC ground on Sports day of that year. There are in fact two photos, one with and one without names. I sent in the original photograph, which was loaned to me by Joe McDowell, and later, submitted the second one after inserting as many names as I could remember(indeed, all but two!)
Recently, the same photograph appeared in the Keighley News in Ian Dewhirst's 'Memory Lane' section(Nov 11) which offered just one or two names of the teachers shown. The following week's Keighley News(Nov 18) then printed a 'Letter of the Week' from an old form-mate of mine, J.H.Learmonth, who, with a little help from another former pupil, listed the names of all the teachers shown. The two teachers whose names I could not recall were; Mr Bugden(second left of picture, seated on grass), and Mr Siddle,(again, seated on the grass next to Geo. Harrison in centre of picture).At last!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Masters on the Cricket Field-1947

That picture is getting quite an airing! Earlier this evening I was in Downham Market, demonstrating artistic skills and my prowess with a paint brush to members of the local Twinning Club. Before I started, a man in the audience, knowing that I had attended KBGS [it was in the publicity blurb] handed me the Ian Dewhirst, 'Down Memory Lane' clipping from the Keighley News and asked me if I recognised anybody. He was a pupil at KBGS from 1948 [I think that was the date he gave] He remembered Frizzy Berrington, his first form mistress, very well and the dexterity with which she administered clips round the ear. He and Ian Dewirst were in the same form for a while. Ken Snape was his name and he came from Stanbury. Anyone remember him? Pity I didn't have the opportunity to have a longer conversation but I should think I'll be seeing him again in the not too distant future.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Re: Masters on the Cricket Field-1947

How interesting, Denis. I bump into Ian Dewhirst on a reasonably regular basis when passing through the Town Centre and shall mention Ken Snapes' name to him when next I see him. He will be 2/3 years younger than we two, Denis, but I swear he looks older!! Mind you, he could outwalk the pair of us. No doubt about that! David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley