KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leaving School

I write this having just this week attended a Last Assembly for the Year12 students at my Grand-Daughters School. This was with all the school assembled and involved the prefects formally handing over to the new prefects. There were speeches by the Head Master and the Head Boy and Girl and then the 80 odd leavers walked out for the last time together.
Now this got me wondering if any such ceremony was carried out at KBGS. I left in 46 during term time so never reached the proper end of school in 5th or Upper 6th . Anyone got any comments? . I cannot remember any such proceedings when I was at school . Probably a later development when times were easier.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Re: Leaving School

I'm the holder of the record for no replies to a posting .It must be that you all never really left the old place and cannot face up to the fact . Did none of you leave ?
At least now I have one reply!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Mike, I notice there were 80 odd leavers from your granddaughter's school. There were some odd leavers from kbgs too.
There was, however, no ceremony for the leavers from kbgs in 1965 - just a wonderful sense of liberation.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

No special ceremony in 1959 either, as far as I can remember. But there must have been a final assembly for that academic year. Didn't the School have speeches from leaving staff (if any) at the final assembly?
I shared Shaun's relief on my final day and if there had been some silly parade of leavers planned I would have tried to escape it, though that probably wouldn't have been as easy as escaping the equally silly ceremony on graduation from university.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com

Only just seen this, Mike.
I guess the nearest thing we had (upto 1960) was the Founder's Day Assembly at the end of the Summer term, usually just before dinner. Cups etc were presented; leaving staff were acknowledged - sometimes with a gift; Valete speeches were made. There may have been a passing remark from the Old Man about pupils leaving - but it wasn't a formal leaving ceremony. New prefects were (s)elected at the beginning of the next school year

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Come off it Mike! You didn't have to wait all that long for a reply. Take pity on poor Terry Marston who still awaits a response to his posting, 'Charlie Dorrance and the Dhoon Bay Camp, Kirkcudbright,' logged in at 5.56 am on Setember 18th 2007.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

I have no recollection at all of leaving the school, final day, "ceremonies" or anything else. Perhaps I'll wake up and find I'm still there as a 16 year-old. Now that would be a nightmare!