KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Essoldo Cinema.

Nice photograph Shaun,and in answer to your question about the origin of the name Essoldo, I understand that it is an acronym using the initials of the founders of the cinema chain, namely ESther,Solomon and DOrothy Sheckman.

Coincidentally, the Odeon cinemas when founded in 1928 took their name from another acronym (of) Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation.

Current location (optional) Shipley

Re: Essoldo Cinema.

The original Odeons were the popular amphitheatres of ancient Greece. The name Odeon had been appropriated by cinemas in France and Italy in the 1920s, but Deutsch made it his own in the UK. His publicity team claimed Odeon stood for "Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Deutsch

Ken, The acronym-type name,'Essoldo', reminds me of another name, going back to 50's(I think), which was 'Roscona', a company that produced amongst other things, Ice Lollies. Remember them? The three gentlemen who founded the company were, I assume, like Solomon Sheckman, of Jewish extraction, their names being Rosenthal, Cohen and Nathan(Ros-Co-Na) One of the three, Abe Rosenthal, happened to play 'on the wing' for Bradford City in his prime and was 'quite pacey', or so he told me. When in business, I used to meet up with him on a regular basis when he eventually moved to Liverpool to work for his brother, Leslie, in Tyre Importation and Distribution. A lovely man with a wicked sense of humour.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

David Seeley
Ken, The acronym-type name,'Essoldo', reminds me of another name, going back to 50's(I think), which was 'Roscona', a company that produced amongst other things, Ice Lollies. Remember them? The three gentlemen who founded the company were, I assume, like Solomon Sheckman, of Jewish extraction, their names being Rosenthal, Cohen and Nathan(Ros-Co-Na) One of the three, Abe Rosenthal, happened to play 'on the wing' for Bradford City in his prime and was 'quite pacey', or so he told me. When in business, I used to meet up with him on a regular basis when he eventually moved to Liverpool to work for his brother, Leslie, in Tyre Importation and Distribution. A lovely man with a wicked sense of humour.

Hi David. Nice memories. Abe was my favourite player when I used to visit Valley Parade in "my youth"! Sadly, I heard that he came to an unfortunate demise after disturbing intruders in his home.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Yes, Bill, It was a sad ending for Abe. As you say, he disturbed intruders in his house on Speke Rd and gave chase down the road but was very soon out of breath. He was not as fit as he was in his footballing days, being some 2 to 3 stone overweight. He stopped to flag a car down to help in the pursuit but had a heart attack in the backseat of the car. Very sad. David

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley