KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Robert Westall

This posting was prompted by the discovery of an old picture from my schooldays. It can be seen in the photos section. I am not promoting this as a wonderful piece of art,but seeing this face after some 50 years set me thinking. If I remember rightly, originally the art room was in the attics, possibly above the D corridor and we had to be totally silent as he made us wait to go into the art room. At some point later the art room was transferred to another place. I found Robert Westall quite a formidable character, particularly as beards were regarded as somewhat beatnik in those far off days. Maybe it was his influence which encouraged me to go to art college seven years later. I just wondered what other people could remember about him.

By the way, I would like to contact Chris Firth about a different topic, but perhaps I'm thick because I can't see how to access him from this site!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-63

Current location (optional) Exeter

Re: Robert Westall

I remember the beard. Also the fact that he lived in the same street as The Golden Pheasant, Keighley's first Chinese restaurant. And finally that his preferred punishment was to make you write out the first chapter of Genesis from the school bible. Did he teach me to draw/paint? Nope.

Did he even try? Nope!

David - my email is on the home page towards the bottom, after "Webmaster"
Chris

Yes, big and scary. But not the beard so much as the leather strap he made a point of showing us he kept in his cupboard but assured us he didn't want to have to use.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59