KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mechanics Institute

When I logged on tonight and saw the old photo of the old building we all knew so well, but I think we took for granted because we didn't know any different, I couldn't help but think what a beautiful building it really was, and the contrast in the ugly monstrosity that was erected after the fire is just awful. How could any architect think that putting those green panels in there was adequate? Maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man (although not as old as David Seeley!) Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Re: Mechanics Institute

Couldn't agree more. they should tear down that characterless box and rebuild a replica of the original mechanics. Buildings like the Mechanics brought with them a sense of civic pride that was lost on the day of the fire and further destroyed when they built the covered shopping mall on what had been the old town centre. I blame men in suits, the rule makers, the @$$holes who make all our lives a misery. Now, I hope I've out-grumped you, and I'm only 63.

Well you made me laugh anyway Allan. That's a good start to my day. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I have written to the K. N. several times a have been published regarding the future of our Town.
1.I believe that the old K.B.G.S. school and the new Tech .should be demolished and a new green-field site be introduced . Not more Car parks!
2.The old police station should be re-opened as a Contact -Point plus office space.
3.The buildings on North St. re-their facades should receive Funding to clean up this major artery through Kly.-so that those who pass through this Pennine Town see a glorious phoenix .!
I fear that nothing will be done in the future and Kly will lose "that was Jerusalem builded here amongst those dark satanic mills " flavour. Will it?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

The bright new era of the 60's, when "slab" was the new Gothic; architects had discovered the "new" medium of concrete; when square was beautiful lines in nature; when(mutatis mutandis) the rest of british new build was sliding in tandem to oblivion. The accountants have inherited the Earth. Perhaps ,if we claimed it as a carbuncle, Charlie Windsor might persuade the Council to pull it down!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I never really was aware of the "Cock" chapel in Cav - which was just across Lord Street from the school gym and the "30s" corridor.

However, when I was in Beaky's 3a (1954-5)in room 36, the Cock was being taken down and the new building which was to become the "tech" was "teching" its place.

I remember seeing the deering do of the steel erectors walking (tightrope) across the steel girders they were putting in place. Watching them was more rivetting than some of the lessons we were treated to. It was from the third year that some of my subjects took a tumble - probably as much due to the Lord Street circus as to the stirrings of adolescence.

The following year in D3 - with Wilbur as form master - we had an introverted look into the old Mechanics and were engrossed in the sexual antics of the randy pigeons who had no respect of period, time of day or season.

I remember one Kenneth (now Lord) Baker stating on national radio in the 80s that he would prefer teenagers to learn about sex behind the bikeshed rather than from a teacher. At KBGS in the '50s we learnt from the pigeons.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln