KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GOOSE EYE

Reading of ex-K.B.G.S. pupils extolling the beauties of faraway places and giving out messages of things to see and do before "we all kick the bucket" makes me think back to my K.B.G.S.things to see.My first"Streak"sighting.Trainspotting at the Round-House in York. The thrill of a new namer on the 11;01` to Carlisle on a Sat. morning. at KLY Station.The sight of the sea and smell of the sea-air at Bradford-on-Sea. Copping" Duchesses "at Hest Bank. Harry Wood`s Toy shop in Cavendish St . Kly. to see what was the latest "Dinky" and "Hornby Dublo" toys were.
I could go on but I do remember a "green eyed"relative always saying to my family when we got back from "abroad"--"Well it`s very nice at Goose Eye y`know"Is`n`t it? Now life is in the fast lane and KLY. with its Ethnic Majority is once again in front!So do we Keighlians need to go to these faraway places when the Orient comes to us?
They say that travel and new experiences is the best form of Education but Ben Tren once said to me as we sailed into Dover"By it`s good to get back to Blighty! as he puffed on his pipe.So was my relative right about"This Green And Pleasant Land"?Was he?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 -1966

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: GOOSE EYE

Sorry for being thick JOhn, could you please explain Goose Eye

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains via Haworth

I'll bet when David Seeley gets out of bed and sees this he will be happy to oblige. The Turkey Inn at Goose Eye is his local and David very kindly took me to lunch there on my last visit about 17 months ago. We had the BIGGEST serving of Yorkshire Pudding I have ever seen. I can recommend you visit there on your next visit home John. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland, NZ

Goose Eye is a little hamlet tucked away below the village of Laycock near KLY.and above Holme House Woods. The pub when I knew it belonged to Whitbread and before that it was a KLY Brewery `house- KINGS . There was a stained glass window saying KINGS on it.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) retired

Agreed.
What intrigues me about this fascinating hamlet is an explanation I read of how it came to be so called. Allegedly a would-be industrial developer and his surveyor were searching out a site for a new mill. The location had to tick all the boxes (ahem!). As they walked along the higher ground and looking down into a wooded hollow, one asked "Wonder what's down there." The reply? "Let's goo see".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Breathes there a man with soul so dead,
who never to himself hath said,
'this is my own, my native land.'

I completely missed this when John posted it in 2010. Thank you for returning it to the top of the pile.
Goose Eye was a wonderful place and still is, and Goose Eye Brow is a great hill to drive or walk up (when I was little I recall my father talking about what I thought was Goose Eyebrow, and was very puzzled).
In the early sixties I remember being taken to The Turkey Inn by someone who had transport (possibly Don Wilding). They would keep on serving as long as people were there because, if they ever chose to go that way, you could spot the lights of police cars coming and "close up" in good time.
My father told a story of a group of visitors from a textiles company in Austria who were shown round the mill where he worked as a young man, and were then taken for a walk around the area - including to Goose Eye and up the Brow. They were amazed at how steep the hills were in England. Apparently there was also a challenge the young men in Oakworth gave to each other - can anyone ride his bike up the Brow?
Not me!!!!!!!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

According to various books written about the area, the place was originally called 'Goose Heights' and, as is often the case, the locals corrupted the name over the years, to 'Goose Eye'. The first time I remember visiting the village as a young man, was when I was learning how to drive with my eldest brother Bob, as tutor. He had me doing 'hill starts' on the rather steep ascent towards Laycock which includes a nasty '1-in-3' hairpin bend half way up. The Beast!! I have met up with several ex-School mates in recent times at The Turkey Inn in Goose Eye, including Bill Walsh(as mentioned)Terry Marston, Denis Pickles, Mike Nichols, Jackson Webber and Keith Watkinson( see Reunion photos) Also, another old classmate of mine, John Sayer, has lived in Goose Eye for many years now, just across the bridge from the The Turkey Inn.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-50

Current location (optional) Keighley

In Reunion photos there is one' Bradford Street Gang Reunion' which was taken with us facing the Turkey Inn with the mill behind us.

So if I enhance the photos enough, I should be able to see the Turkey Inn reflected in your eyes?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-1961

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Moving to the top of Devonshire Street in 1937 we were handy for Holme House Wood. It was just before Guard House estate was built and mother soon found the walk through to Goose Eye . We also walked via Braithwaite and then down the hill to the bottom and returned through the wood . I remember the small farm called Newsome Dene I think, where before the war we could have ham salad for a light tea in the farm buildings.Throughout the war our milkman delivered by horse and float from his farm at Goose Eye and that meant going up Goose Eye Brow , quite a pull , followed by going down from Blackhill--how did they do it ?
As for Guard House , the council knocked down loads of slum dwellings at the bottom of West Lane and rehoused them just before the war . my father , in the police , said that in 1937 when he was on duty they had to patrol on foot in pairs down in that area . Some things never change.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

I always thought it was called "Newsholme Dene". Anyhow, it was a lovely spot to walk to for a picnic.

Correct Shaun, the restaurant near Oakworth Cemetery is Newsholme Manor.
Of course Holme House Wood was always Old Mouse Wood

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

One childhood memory plucked from the deep recesses of my mind is of Holme House Wood in Spring that taught me what blue was, through the swathes of bluebells there.

I tickled trout in that stream circa 1950. What a shock to find how easy it was. Don't I remember a brew that went by the name of 'Old Three Laps' being made and served at the Turkey in the late 'seventies, early 'eighties - and the tragic story that went with it?

Doug

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58

Current location (optional) Cottingham, East Yorkshire

Curiously about 20 mins ago I was talking to an Italian guy and his wife who live in Goose Eye ! I stay two nights nearly every week at the hotel on top of Otley Chevin. For a change I decided to try a small Italian restaurant down in Otley in the old Wharfedale Mills by the river, and the owner lived in Goose Eye. Anyway it was darn good food. 'Buon Apps' if anyone is in the area.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Doug, you can't just mention Old Three Laps and allude to a tragic story without telling us what the tragic story was - or are you just tickling trout again?

Try
text

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950-55

Current location (optional) KEIGHLEY

Owd Three Laps? Bill Sharp? Brigg House!

It follers!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln