KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rugby Songs

I can't remember anyone daring to sing rugby songs on the bus after school games. Did it ever happen? I can remember them being a major feature on long journeys back from Keighlians games but can't remember a single line of one. What about school camp? I never went. Were there 'rugby' songs there? If so, and you can remember any, let's hear them. If this site is too prudish send them with a note about the context in which you heard them to my email address. I ask because a friend from America seems to think there's "a (British) version of 'Barnacle Bill the Sailor'" possibly going by the name 'Bollicky Bill the Sailor' or 'The Fair Maiden'. These names mean anything to anybody?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)

Re: Rugby Songs

When in the Under 14s and Colts, which teams traveled away with either the 1st or 2nd XVs, on the return journey some of the senior lads would break into song. They would start with established local lyrics such as Ilkley Moor; Ten Green Bottles - but the bravest rendition was of "Oh Sir Jasper do not touch me". This was usually tolerated by Gilbert, Frankie and Edgar - it lacked expressive detail.

Codge would join in this bawdy ballad and, later as a doyen of the 1st XV , would introduce it into trips back from such exciting venues as Blackpool. Gareth, you must have witnessed this.

Although I had some experience with the Keighlians 1st XV before I went south to college, I heard little to disturb me as much as I did when I played in the Home Counties. I am sure Tony Cooper can back me up on this. Having become inured to the sense of the songs, they get easier to sing if you don't think about the words - but you have to choose your company carefully.

Many are two technicolor to share with this site

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

http://www.rugbysongs.net/RugbySongs.html

I have 2 LPs (remember them?) of rugby songs by The Jock Strapp Ensemble, and every expletive is carefully 'beeped' out.
When I was associated with the Powerhouse Rugby Club in Melbourne in the late 6os there was a couple of lads who knew every rugby song that was ever written and they were always performed with gusto at the post-match parties later in the evening.

One of the best was 'If I were the marrying kind'

........ which thank the Lord I'm not, sir
The kind of man that I would be , would be a rugby Full Back
I'd find touch and you'd find touch ,and we'd find touch together
We'd be alright in the middle of the night, finding touch together.

Thence each verse through all the rugby positions

eg Id put in in..... (For scrum half)

Someone else may remember all of them , if they dare go into print.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral