KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Contemporaries

I just (in April) had my 80th birthday. I got to wondering who of my contemporaries at KBGS are still alive and kicking (as they used to say). I know three - Joe McDowell, Paul Greenwood and Cedric Phillips (the latter two I am in contact with and Joe at the Reunion). Are there others of my vintage whether on this site or not? If there are any you know of please let me know.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1940-48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Re: Contemporaries

Frank Wellock and Asa Briggs would be around your time, wouldn't they,Tom? and also, of course, Robert Bracken.

Yes Doug - Frank Wellock was, I think 2 or 3 years ahead of me. Asa Briggs taught briefly in 1945, I assume when in process of being demobbed and before taking up a Fellowship at Worcester College Oxford. He took some classes in what was called "local history". This must have been just before Spike came to the school. I remember him suffering from migraine and once he asked me to go out and get him some aspirin.He is 9 years older than me (which seemed an big distance in age at the time) so presumably left KBGS in around 1938, two years before I went there in 1940, at the age of 10 on a Drake and Tonson Scholarship from Holycroft. I have lost touch with him now so can't ask him to verify these dates.

Tom, was WE Walton headmaster at Holycroft at that time? I knew him very well. A splendid man who was of enormous help to me during my early education.

Tom it depends on what you mean by contemporary. Do you mean the same year or the same period say within 5-6 years?? You were a fifth or sixth former when I came to KBGS and I remember you well.If the latter I am still around as is my brother David. I am 77 now.

(Lord) Asa Briggs is 89, a year younger than my father who knew him at primary school (they swapped stamps!). I had some correspondance with Asa a few years ago which I passed to our webmaster. Dad is 90 this year but isn't an old boy (still playing bowls in Lund Park). Asa lives in Arundel.
(Rev) Albert W Mosley I am sure is an old boy, he might even have posted on here. He was Minister at Lund Park Methodists in the 60's and lives near Leicester, I have his email address. He must be in his upper 80's now.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Arthur - I was really meaning within 1 or 2 years. Although I was a Prefect in my last year I honestly don't remember many younger than me. Of my form as I said I am in touch with Phillips, McDowell, Greenwood and for a short time Jacob Monkhouse though I don't know whether or not he is still with us.Up to SC I was in the "B" form then the Arts sixth. I therefore did German (with May Whitehead) and had to do SC Latin in one year to take the Cambridge Scholarship exam I would dearly love to have a list of 5B in 1946 (my SC year)but the few other names I remember are Burns, Bancroft,Dawson,Gaskell ,, then the memory goes.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Doug- I don't remember the name of the head of the senior school. The Junior head was the formidable Miss Barker.I was smitten by my form teacher - a young lady from Darlington whose name now escapes me though it may come to me later.She was responsible, I am sure, for my scholarship to the Grammar School My own mother taught me to read before I went to Holycroft aged 5 so I was off to a good beginning.

I just remembered some other names. There was David Raistrick (I came across his brother later), an Ackroyd whose first name I don't recall - could he have been related to the Ackroyd who posts on this website? There was a Dale (Peter?),the late Derek Mosey (how could I have forgotten him?), Joe Galvin (whose email address I still have) but again haven't heard from him for some time though he does seem to visit this site.Someone I forgot to mention - a great friend of mine - David Hewitt who tragically died of a brain tumour just after School Certificate for which we had revised together.. There was also Binns (Malcolm ?), Leslie (?) Northrop ... here memory fails me again. In the Arts Sixth there was Nigel Earnshaw, Cedric Phillips (aforementioned) but who else?

I apologise to any I have forgotten for now - if they read this perhaps they will remind me. Regrettably I have no papers relating to this period.I would dearly love to have the full list of 5B in 1945 and the Lower Sixth Arts in 1946.Does anyone remember a full list of Prefects in 1947-48?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) '40-'48

Current location (optional) Epsom

Morning Tom!
I have been very interested in your comments regarding old classmates. You say, quite rightly, that one tends to remember lads in your own year and 'the big' boys in higher forms. I have been comparing the names you mention with the 1946 panoramic photograph, trying to fit names to faces - with a pretty good success rate! I suppose you've been doing the same - i.e. using the photograph as an aide memoire? Do you recall a John Overend from Sutton? I think he might have been in your year. He features in Pt 6 of the photograph.
I can confirm that your friend Jacob Monkhouse is no longer with us. According to his son Andrew who lives in Adelaide, "dad decided to check out the 'other side' in July 2007".

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Thanks Denis - I think John Overend may have been but have no mental picture of him.Nice to hear from you again Denis!