KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cookery at KBGS?

I was going though the effects of an aunt who died recently and found a "recipe book" published by KBGS in 1964. I've sent a scanned image of the front cover to Chris. It was produced as part of the "Swimming Bath Appeal" and has the legend "Bazaar 1964". It's a real hotch-potch of recipes. Maybe it should have been called "Bizarre 1964".
Most of the recipes have the name of the contributor appended. A number are parents, that is to say mothers, of lads I knew at school. 52 pages of recipes with 4 pages of adverts from local shops.
I'll post some of the stuff when I return from Ireland mid-June.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Re: Cookery at KBGS?

Nothing received, but in any case no need to send to me. Just use the "Add photo" link on the home page.

Trip Down Memory Lane this morning when I called on my elderly mother to see if she was O.K.? Showed her Shaun`s post.
She still has a copy of the Recipe Book ---very well used and a most interesting and evocative read!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Crikey. It worked...and with my limited technological abilities too. The picture in on now under the history heading.

I suspect if my Dad turned out his sideboard, he would find a copy too. Im sure my late mother was involved in its production

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Anyone remember the swimming bath appeal fund biros?

Hi Shaun
Don’t recall the cook book but I certainly remember the bazaar! A couple of us made and painted dozens of plaster ornaments to sell. Don’t recall how many we actually sold, but Mr Crouch remarked sarcastically “Very bizarre they are too!” Maybe you overheard him and retained a deep memory…
I seem to recall we played table tennis in the form room at lunchtime and you once tried to teach me Bridge just before I was co-opted into a traumatic masters vs boys tournament?
Brian

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-65

Current location (optional) Hemel Hempstead

Contributors to the “Recipe Book” were;-
Mrs Pearson (Exley Mount), A Rhodes (Scott Lane Riddlesden), Mrs E Bracewell (Fell Lane) – John’s mother or Bill’s??, Mrs M Bracewell (ditto) – ditto, Mrs Jolly (Barrett Street), D A Bloxham (Devonshire Street), Mrs Hall (???), M Smith (Bradford Street), H Smith (Fell Lane), Mrs L Trigg (Scott Lane), Mrs B Scargill (Tasmania – yes indeed), Mrs Newton (Westburn Avenue), PETERITE (who knows what that means), Mrs A Walton (Calton Street), Mrs Williams (Ward Street), N Howley (Malsis Road) – see Kevin Howley, Mrs M Robinson (Highfield Lane), A Friend (quite a few of these), Miss B Holmes, Mrs Tobin (Oakbank Grove), Mrs Shuttleworth (Selborne Grove) - see Brian S, Mrs Morrell, Anon (a couple of these), Mrs E Hall (Victoria Road) – see Jim H, Mrs Waddington (Victoris Road), Mrs Stall, D Wilding (Selborne Grove) – see Don W, B Marsden (Lower Holme House), Mrs Pamment (Malsis Road) – see Dave P, Mrs, Thompson, Mrs Rawling (Westburn Avenue), Mrs E Capstick (Fell Lane), Mrs J Dewhurst (Raglan Avenue), Mrs W Pickles (Arncliffe Place), Mrs L Hardwick (Thorncliffe Road), Mrs Clarkson (Upper Calton Street), Mrs C R Raw, Mrs A Ingham (Malsis Road), Mrs Mellin, Mrs Bennett (Victoria Road), Mrs F Craven (Victoria Road), MRs M V Hutton (Whitley Road), Mrs H Dewhurst (Raglan Avenue), B Rice (Malsis Road), Mrs Besford, Mrs K Parrish (Riddlesden), Mrs Chester, Mrs Cockroft, M Reilly, Mrs Binns (Hird Street), Mary Featherstone (Malsis Road), Edith Reddihough, Mrs Chadwick, Mrs Sugden, Mrs A Harding (Tennyson Street), Mrs E Lund, Mrs Hall (Morecambe ??), Mrs Shires (Steeton), H Marsden, M Brooke, Mrs M Clough (Shipley), E Riley (Prospect Mount) – surely this can’t have been Eddy Current, Mrs Shepherd (Exley Head), MRs R Calvert (Oakworth), Mrs Davis, Mrs W A Bloomfield (that’s right), Mrs M L Millward (Sheffield ??), Mrs Hargreaves (Fell Lane), Mrs M Menall (Belgrave Road), Mrs M Greenwood (Selborne Grove), Mrs Phillips (Sunnyhill Grove), Mrs H Gill (Raglands Avenue), Mrs F Townson (Queen’s Road) – she had no sons, so the contributors were clearly spread wider than the school community, Mrs Brigg (Park Avenue), Mrs H F W Boddy (Nashville Terrace) – see David B ??, Mrs Town (Park Avenue), Mrs T Phillips (Queens Road) – see David and Alden P, Mrs D Bowler (Westburn Avenue), Mrs M Kirby (Westburn Avenue), Mrs E Hall (Brighouse), Mrs J Mackinder (Bradford), Mrs Roper (Riddlesden), Mrs Waring (Bingley), Mrs F Wellock (that’s right), Mrs Langthorn, Mrs A Lawton (Burnham-on-Sea), G Harrison (Oakworth), E Britton, Mrs E Cooke, Mrs D Skelton (Oakworth Road), Mrs I Ackroyd (Fell Lane) – any relation John?, Mrs Charles (Birmingham), Mrs D M Greenwood (Malsis Road), Mrs Baldwin (Silsden), A Dun (Riddlesden), Mrs Ambler (Exley Head), Mrs N Smith, Mrs B Cutter (Grafton Road), Mrs W twigg (Exley Head), Mrs D Hopkinson, Mrs Wood (Acres Street), Mrs H Raistrick (Fell Lane), Mrs Bayliss, Mrs Hitchen (Utley), Mrs Ryder (Shelf), Mrs Williams (Summerhill Avenue), Mrs Carver, Mrs D Cordingley (Fell Lane), Mrs Robinson (Balfour Street), Mrs Catley (that’s right), J Sutcliffe (Carr Lane), Mrs Hirst (Skipton), Mrs Glover (Skipton), Miss Whitaker, L C Moorby, Mrs Thornton (Queen’s Road), B Roland (Victoris Road), Nora Nichol, Mrs J Lovall (Westburn Avenue, Mrs J Waldron (Southport), Mrs Sharman, Mrs Heaton, Mrs N Mitchell (????), Mrs Gill (Selborne Grove),Mrs Robinson (Kensington Street) and finally and most amazingly Dr Ma Thein Kyi (Rangoon).
Questions:
Do any of these names ring a bell?
Why did so few of the staff appear to contribute?
Who had all these contacts?
What was the Burmese connection?
There were some amazing recipes. A few of the more bizarre titles will follow.
P.S. Sorry if I've put a few people in twice or missed out one or two.

The dishes include:
Vinegar Loaf, Bible Cake, Diggers, Broken Biscuits, Jap Cakes, Railway Pudding, Canary Pudding, Crosby Tea Bread, How to use up Sour Milk, and Liver (you fry it).
Anyone recall eating any of these (other than the fried liver)?

E .RILEY - Prospect Mt. was Sam Riley`s mother. She and her husband used to have OAKWORTH .RD P.O. S`s father was a Gov.of K.B.G.S. and when I broke my leg playing Rugby at the the school he was very kind to me and gave very good advice.We were close neighbours and my Mum still lives in the same house<48 yrs> and contributed to the "Cookery book". Still uses it.Like Shaun am mystified at the Burmese recipes but my Thai wife and very much a "Quality!"girl rates these recipes highly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Mrs Jolly (Barrett Street, Silsden)Mother of Richard.Mrs Tobin (Oakbank Grove)Mother of Christopher. B Marsden (Lower Holme House)Mother of David. Mrs Clarkson (Upper Calton Street)Mother of David and the late George. Mrs J Lovall (Westburn Avenue) should be Lovatt -Mother of John.
Mrs Wellock, incidentally, died last month.

IW has beaten me to the late George and Davids mother, I remember his Dad was killed about the same time in an explosion at an electricity substation.
John will tell us Irene Ackroyd is his mother.
The biggest family contribution seems to be from the late Jim Hall. His mother was Edna Hall of Victoria Rd. Jim also had two sets of Aunts/Uncles in Morecambe (who had guest houses in Regent Rd). And I'm fairly sure his mothers maiden name was Raw, so Mrs Raw was probably an Aunt. Mrs Waldron of Southport, was either close a friend or a relative of the Halls (I stayed in their Guest House in Southport). Finally they also had relatives called Lawton. I worked for Courtaulds late 60's, and a relative of Jims, Alan Lawton, was a senior buyer at that time. I met him at Jims wedding.
Mrs Waddington was the mother of Keith Waddington, who probably had left school by the time of the recipe book.
Cant understand why my late mother's not on the list as I know she was actively involved in producing it.

Current location (optional) Wirral

Maybe she was "A Friend" or "Anon".

Further to my earlier post, I meant to say also that Mrs E Bracewell would have been Robert and Bill Bracewells mother. Their cousins Eddie and Johns mother passed away when they were very young.

Miss Whitaker was probably the Ingrow Juniors teacher

L C Moorby would have been Mrs Moorby who was the stepmother of Michael Deathe. They had th corner shop at the bottom of Malsis Road.

Could Mrs W Bracewell, also of Fell Lane, have been a grandmother or was it the same person? I know that some contributors appeared under two initials - their own and their husband's. There was a fashion, in those days, for women to take their husbamd's first name as well as his surname (Mrs Edna Phillips appears as Mrs T Phillips - husband Tom).

Not certain but I think Bills Dad was also Bill.

Just been searching old posts and have come across this.

D A Bloxham (Devonshire Street) – Could she have been Nick Bloxham’s mother? N Howley (Malsis Road) Mrs Clarkson (Upper Calton Street) – Annie, George and David’s mother, Mrs F Townson (Queen’s Road) – wasn’t her husband ‘Donald’ an old boy? She use to live next door to Alden Phillips, Mrs Mrs Town (Park Avenue) – Harold Town’s wife; Mrs M Kirby (Westburn Avenue) – Gary Kirby’s mother, Mrs Langthorn – Michael’s mother (Malsis Road),

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Yes David, Mrs. F. Townson was married to Donald who was indeed an old boy of kbgs. He was one on the Townson clan of bowls players, one of whom married my sister. I think Donald was the only brother to go to kbgs.