KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PIE`S ETC.

I seem to remember that at morning break < at k.b.g.s. Oakbank >there was a queue in the "Quad"to buy some form of pie-probably a Cornish pasty- sold from a wooden tray by a local shopkeeper from the Broomhill Avenue area. His son was 5TH Former I think.Can anyone add to these details

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: PIE`S ETC.

Strangely enough (completely out of character, this) I was a daily customer of Mr Sharp's pies. Mr Sharp, father of Sharp-without-an-e of our class, was a daily visitor to Oakbank. His newsagent's shop was just round the corner from the bottom entrance, I seem to remember. They were very good pasties. I think they cost ninepence, but I could be mistaken on that. Anyone remember?

Yes it was Harry Sharp, father of Stuart. Ninepence I think was right. But I dont think he sold the pies for too long. I remember him mainly for selling fruit, and his shop was primarily a greengrocers, it was about three shops up from the corner with Ashbourne Road.
I expect Shaun will be the expert on this as he lived very close.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

If only I'd eaten his fruit - it would have been a very different story....

I have expertise in very little Brian but I can confirm that you're right about Stuart Sharp, the greengrocer's shop and its' position (3rd shop).
I have no recollection of pie sales by Stuart's dad or of his prices, but I'm sure Allan wasn't the glutton he is making out.
Clearly KBGS wasn't going for the Healthy Schools Award.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

As well as the pies at break time, Watthey introduced a coke (liquid variety) machine too.

Yes but it didnt last very long. I remember him announcing in assembly in his very distinct and deliberate manner, that he had read in the paper 'Coca Cola has a severe de-calcifying effect on the teeth' , and ordered it to be removed.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Packets of cheese biscuits sold from the stage in the Assembly Hall - I loved 'em.