KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
St Georges Day

Happy St Georges Day to one and all
Don't know if anyone still celebrates it but we must keep our English traditions alive

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) cumbria

Re: St Georges Day

The other day at 0700, the BBC blasted out a version of GSTQ on the queen's birthday.

Not a mention today of St George's Day - nor even Shakespeare's birthday. Any ideas for a St George's Day anthem. Stan Freberg's St George and the Dragonet comes to mind as a possibility... Try
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBcASC9VqzY.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

The dirge that is the National Anthem of our country should be replaced as soon as is reasonably practicable. As a liberal,republican, athiest, whilst I stand for the Anthem I would never dream of singing it; I would be appealing to a deity I don't believe in to save someone I don't want to be there!
Patron Saints should go the same way as they are totally irrelevent to life in the modern era.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60;

Current location (optional) Harrogate

I'm with you Alec!
How about The New St George written by Richard Thompson?

Good one Alec

Wasn't St George a Roman soldier who "killed" a non-existent dragon. Not much to do with England, really.

England should lead the world in being apatriotic, although I don't mind if we have a "Newton Day" or a "Darwin Day" to help promote science and engineering. The Scots could have "Maxwell Day", the Irish "Hamilton Day"...not sure about the Welsh...or Yorkshire great scientists...Edward Appleton maybe?

Being of Welsh descent I'd suggest Shirley Bassey Day

"Nationalism is like cheap alcohol.First it makes you drunk, then it makes you blind, then it kills you"

There's a good thread of nihilism running through these latest postings. Keep it up lads and we can sleep in on May 6th.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Nihilism? I don't think so. I'm encouraged to think there's a strong epistemological thread developing here, but it's open to debate.

What's the Malvern Spring Gardening Show got to do with us, Terry?

Good Lord what a lot of outpourings from an obviously rebublican base
Remember chaps I was in the YRA(Yorkshire Republican Army)and was responsible for nationalist slogans on Haworth Station and took part in the infamous hunger strike in the Alice Street Annex

Are you seriously saying there was a rival group to the PFLWY?
And was it you who placed the water bombs at the Town Hall and Railway Station in 1963?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Shaun -you were obviously taken in by their spin
Remember the Life of Brian and the problems of the Jewish anti-Roman resistance groups
Remember only total independence for a Free Yorkshire
was our aim but the Rawtenstall Peace process and the resultant arms amnesty has derailed this
However rumour has it that a splinter group is alive and well near Hebden Bridge so all is not lost

The headmistress of my First school where I first taught was a fervid C of E lady ( bless her) who saw to it that her school recognised each national Saints day as they arrived ie Saints Andrew,David, George and Patrick. She would begin her assembly by asking ' Who knows what day it is today?' I knew this was going to happen and primed my class of 9 year olds.When she asked the question every hand in my class shot up. she smirked her approval at me and said 'Since you all know you can all tell me.'
With one voice they replied, 'Shakespeare's Birthday!!'
I was ever the subtle rebel. When Prince Charles visited Sir James Hill's in Bradford we got permission to go down and wave at him. So I organised my kids to make their own flags , (a colouring-in exercise with purpose), and since Charles had just been engaged to Diane and the flags were too small for 'Charles and Diane' the prince was welcomed by a host of flags proclaiming " C.'N' D."