KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
G.EMERY

I always got on well with S. .No I`m not queer. I went on holiday with him.Visited him at his parents home, and wrote to him regularly.He even spoke at my wedding reception at"Craiglands"in Ilkley.
He died of Septicemia after a Heart Op in Newcastle.One of his students at the top G.S in that city wrote and told me all about his death etc. and as a "weapon of mass destruction" he left 2 fantastic policeman`s wooden lettered truncheons. He was a very astute antiques collector.A joker even in death!
Whilst I was H.T. @ Kildwick he came to stay with me and we walked round the Ings. and had a good intellectual talk about "education".Despite all the postings about "weapons of mass destruction" I found him and his family A.O.K.His father was a Railway Goods train Guard Vanman.His family lived in a very modest Terrace house in Langley nr. Stoke . His parents and sister were very proud of him and their front room was a shrine to his love of antiques and books /historical and religious . All his family had serious heart problems and died by today`s standards too young.
The last time I saw him was one Xmas Eve on the "box" giving Communion in all his regalia.
His final wish was to be buried in his purple C of E.robes. He always told me he was`nt frightened of dying because he was looking forward to meeting a lot of his friends who has passed over. R.I.P. despite being quite a character at K.B.G.S. !!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-66

Current location (optional) HAWORTH

Re: G.EMERY

>>He always told me he was`nt frightened of dying because he was looking forward to meeting a lot of his friends who has passed over.

As a rationalist I can understand why this self-deception persists. It's such a great idea to think you will see your parents, friends (& enemies?) again.

He came from Stoke-on-Trent eh? So he can't have been all that bad then.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Chris
>>He always told me he was`nt frightened of dying because he was looking forward to meeting a lot of his friends who has passed over.

As a rationalist I can understand why this self-deception persists. It's such a great idea to think you will see your parents, friends (& enemies?) again.

As another rationalist, I don't think Snakey will be disappointed, I'm sure he will meet all of his friends.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

John, presume you mean they will all meet up again at Valhalla in Asgard.

Hail Odin, and his mighty land of Jorvikshire!

or possibly as a rationalist, once you pop your clogs, that's it, nowt left. Although as a retired Army officer, the idea of Valhalla does appeal to me.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

Well I suppose gay teachers were just not understood in those days. Was there not a very strange laboratory assistant who ended up in the bushes with his pupil friends.

Could someone please locate him for me from one of the Panora photos?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Ive had agood look on 1960 and 1964 and cannot spot him.
I guess he was at KGBS/Oakbank from about 1959-1965, John Ackroyd may be able to confirm,

Are you all looking for Snakey or the "strange" lab. assistant?

The former is on 1960 panorama - Part 4, 2nd Master from the R.H.end sitting next to that Music guy (Payne?).

Also Form Master of 3B, 1962.

I'm happy to say I've no recollection of the latter! (You surely can't mean "Ben" Johnson?)

There could have been no weirder lab assistant. He looked like an ugly frog. I was told categorically he was a gay predator. He was also present at Oakbank. What about Jack Cleaver from Haworth. Also of the same inclination. Not as bad as public schools but KBGS had its shirtlifters.

"Ugly frog"?
Gotta be Ben!

Then you are clearly referring on Ben Johnson, Alan !
I'd never have thought it though. Short rotund man with glasses . Ugly Frog !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Hi Alan!
Remember when I used to borrow fags off you at Oakbank? I always said "I'll see you right when my ship comes in."
Guess what... still waiting for that bloody ship!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-68

Current location (optional) Computer table - lounge

Thanks, Brian. He is who I thought it was. (??? Grammar - Prut)

The 2 guys between him and me were the language assistants.
The little guy with specs next to me was the German assistant - rather correct.
The French assistant was a great guy - name eludes me - (Fred Jamet?? - Je pense que oui) - very popular and with a range of interests that made him one of the boys without sacrificing his status. Where is he now?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln