KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cross Country Running at KBGS

I would like to initiate a posting in which Old Boys of KBGS can record their recollections (serious or humorous) of Cross Country Running at KBGS - either in timetabled games, house matches or representative games.
Please - don't be shy!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Cross Country Running at KBGS

The only time I did cross country runs was when Lawkholme was too frozen to play rugby.That happened fairly often.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

I hated cross country running. In fact, running of any kind. What's the point? Amongst all the thousands of things I find myself hating in older age, I probably hate joggers the most (after politicians, journalists and bankers). For example, joggers don't bother to stop running across the road even when in the path of my huge yellow van, which they can't not have seen. Something about the dopamine rush they're on, apparently. I never managed to achieve the dopamine rush on those freezing cold days. In fact I don't remember being rushed in any kind of way, despite Frankie Wellock's habit of cycling at rear to whack the bum of any straggler with his pre-war gym shoe. My usual companion at the rear of the field was Sharp-without-an-E (to differentiate him from Michael Sharpe-with-an-E). Although small and slim and therefore probably a fair runner, he managed to join us at the back several times in the course of a run by making progress through the ranks, then nipping over a wall for a fag before rejoining us at the rear.

I hated it too Allan. Just after the move to Oakbank, April 1964, we were snent on a run intended to go up Occupation Lane, across Branshaw Golf Course, and back down Slaymaker Lane. Myself and a couple of others, (one was John Bracewell I think, other might have been Bernard Tennant) who played cricket at Knowle Park nipped into the cricket ground, waited a suitable time, then rejoined again by taking a short cut over a wall coming out near Branshaw Golf Club House. We didnt get caught either

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Such activities were also anathema to myself, just like my two contemporaries above and their partners in "crime".
A reward for lack of interest in extending myself physically (and doing so only under the most extreme duress in youth) is that, at 63, I can still enjoy being able to do almost everything I ever wanted to!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958 - 65

Current location (optional) Dudley, West Midlands

I remember Brian, Ernie Entwistle and myself giving Dave Harrison a very long winded account of why we shouldn't run, the reason being that we were short winded.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth

It seems we really all enjoyed ourselves at KBGS (I don't think!). I detested anything that was associated with Gilbert Swift, but actually preferred cross country running to being on the field, supposedly playing rugby with Swift chiding all the time. Never been interested in sports, and that's probably where it comes from. I remember running round Jubilee Towers and across the woods at Thwaites and Parkwood with Swift trying to catch out the smokers. My brother enjoyed the cross country running because he was able to get more time in getting train numbers at Marley. Hate to disabuse Brian here, but, as the cardiologist said to me at Christmas, heart problems are mainly hereditary, so you're the lucky one Brian!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-63

Current location (optional) Exeter

I do remember we had a rather good cross country runner in Longsden House, by name of Colin Kirkham. He was good enough to run in National and maybe International events

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Yes, Brian, Colin Kirkham was an excellent international athlete. He ran in the marathon in the Munich Olympics of 1972 but I don't think he got a medal. I believe he is still connected with Coventry Godiva Harriers, the club he represented for years, as an organiser.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960 - 1965

Current location (optional) Keighley

Colin Kirkham lived in Upper Hird Street at the bottom of Lawnswood Road and along with Paul Sugden we walked to KBGS together in the mornings. I think you could say I had a hand in his training!