KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Forms of Address

Mr Marston [or may I call you Terry?]
Although I had left KBGS before you started, I think we could enjoy a natter, I get up to Lincoln now and again - I was through there on Sunday as a matter of fact. Fancy meeting for a jar sometime?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Terry,

If you do meet up

Don't mention Maureen McWhinney to Denis !!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

Sounds a good idea, Denis, and I won't mention Maureen McWhinney, mainly on the grounds that I couldn't pronounce her name. What part of Norfolk? I often use the A14 or A17 through to Manningtree? At the moment I can't access the Guest Book to get your e-mail but will contact you when I can.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I recall, as a child, watching old fellers in the allotments and they usually seemed to address each other as "old cock" - a local expression??
In Sheffield in the 60s the term "love" was the default means of addressing anyone. It rather disturbed a friend of mine who had just arrived at university from Leicester with a large trunk and the bus driver said "Let mi gi' yer an 'and wi' that luv."
And "Sir" has not disappeared. I arrived last week for a meeting at a school, of which I am a governor, for pupils with severe behavioural difficulties and was greeted by a lad who had been ejected (for violent behaviour no doubt)with "Are you a new teacher, Sir?"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

I often upset Sione out here in the Philippines by calling a waitress 'luv'. I try to explain but Sione says 'I kill her!'
As a matter of interest and not really leaving the subject.I left Eastwood and everyone was Terry, Brian, Trevor or Shirley but when I got to KBGS I stopped being Arthur and became Seeley even to class mates, I have to say that those that went up with me remained the Trevors and Brians as was and I remained Arthur to them. Did this happen to others. I found it made me slightly more anonymous and being in a six hundred plus school I felt anonymous enough.

I too went from being called, "John" to being called "Felvus". In Australia I was refered to as "you Pommy bas***d" until I joined the Army which must seem like a most democratic institution, not once was I called Felvus, I was always addressed by rank and name, at least to my face, behind my back it was still probably "that Pommy bast**d".