KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dr Robert Spink MP - an old boy??

Recently, sorting out some press clippings, I found a column headed "Quote Unquote". It was possibly from "The DT" or "YP".

I read through all entries to find out why I had saved it. Dating it was a problem but there were few clues - apart from the yellowing paper.

There were contemporary quotes from: George Cary as Cantab; Eamonn Casey, Bishop of Galway, confessing to "sinning grievously" with Annie Murphy; David Mellor MP and Chelsea supporter as Sec of State for National Heritage (before confessing to his excesses).

Can anyone date this column?

Lastly, a Dr Robert Spink (Tory MP) was quoted as follows:

" I come from Keighley in West Yorkshire, a place where the weak die young and the strong envy them their fate".

Please - have you got any information about this unworthy would-be "Aireworthian" (tm :terrymarston)?
Could he have been an old Keighlian - ie ex KBGS?;

The only Keighley Spinks I know were the family who lived at the junction of Bingley and Pond Streets (now Asdaland).
Anyone know: which constituency he represented?; why he should pretend to be such a superior survivor?; how we can redress his arrogance?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: Dr Robert Spink MP - an old boy??

Nay, Nay Terry
Wikipedia

Robert Michael Spink (born 1 August 1948, Haworth, Worth Valley, Yorkshire) is a politician in the United Kingdom. He was elected as the Conservative Party Member of Parliament for Castle Point in Essex in 1992, lost his seat in 1997, but regained it in 2001. He resigned the Conservative whip in March 2008, and in April 2008 he defected to the United Kingdom Independence Party, becoming that party's first and only MP. In November 2008 he was redesignated as an Independent, on the grounds that UKIP had no 'whip' and has since denied joining UKIP.

He went to Holycroft Secondary Modern School (now a primary school) on Victoria Road in Keighley and Southall Technical College, At the University of Manchester, he gained an BSc Hons (1st) in 1972. At Cranfield University, he gained an MSc in Industrial Engineering and Administration in 1975 and PhD in Economics and Management in 1988.
He joined the Royal Air Force (RAF) in 1964, and until 1966 did his Basic Training at RAF Cosford and RAF Uxbridge, being invalided. He was an engineer for EMI Electronics Ltd from 1966-77 in Hayes and gained an Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) from Southall Technical College in 1969 when on day-release, then became an Industrial Management Consultant in 1977 for Harold Whitehead and Partners. From 1980-4, he was Director of Seafarer Navigation International Ltd (eventually bought by Standard Communications ) in Bournemouth, and from 1989-93, he was a non-executive Director of Bournemouth International Airport. From 1984-93, he was a Management Consultant. From 1997 to 2001, he worked for Harold Whitehead in Windsor. He was a county councillor in Essex from 1985-92.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley

ok, Derek, but what about his destructive comments about Kly?
He reads like an arrogant sod - d'apres Wickedpedia.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

probably got a chip on his shoulder because, at 11plus time, unlike us lot, he couldn't cut the mustard!

I don't remember him from Haworth Primary School.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-61

Current location (optional) Blue Mountains, Australia via Haworth