KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1946 Panorama School Photo

For those of you who love to browse through the many, and growing, number of photographs on our Website, may I draw your attention to the 1946 'Panora',and in particular Section 4. There are three Lady teachers seated on the extreme right of the section and above the right-hand one, I forget her name, there appears to be a boy with his tongue sticking out. That lad was Jack Sunderland, a Lawkholme Laner, who lived in Marlborough Street and first showed me how to ride a two-wheeler bike.
Needless to say when 'Old Nick' was told of this 'unforgiveable act',he was furious and his 'ticking-off' of Sunderland could be heard,echoing down every corridor in the old School. Poor Jack!!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: 1946 Panorama School Photo

David,

You know that I am one who takes pleasure from browsing through the old photos and I'd been looking at the 1946 panorama recently looking for Dennis Clough. The three lady teachers? Miss Griffiths who took the odd gym lesson [Odd? Well, it was different!], Miss Kershaw and I am having trouble remembering the third one. I have checked my school report to see if that gave me a clue - she took French in the first form. Her initials were JW. Could it be Wright? For the record, she was thought I was 'Very Good' the first term, but I went downhill fast and was only 'disappointing' at the year end. Next to Jack Sunderland is little Peter Wilcock who left for Canada in 1948 there to become a much respected pediatrician sadly dying at the age of 41yrs.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Denis, I too, had Miss Griffiths(in the nicest possible way)although I'm not altogether sure what subject she taught. It certainly wasn't 'Gym'. Now Miss Kershaw was a different prospect! She taught English to 'First-formers'; and the one thing I remember about her was how she regularly used to come and sit on a desk at the front of class with her feet on a chair, and every now and then, cross and uncross her legs. And good legs they were,too! I'm convinced she did it for a bit of 'devilment', but one thing is for sure, whenever she came and sat on a desk, she had the full attention of every boy in the classroom!!
I think your are right about Miss Wright, Denis and I too, spotted little Peter Wilcock tucked away almost behind Jack Sunderland when I recently reviewed this section.

David , you took the words out of my mouth. I have en entry on another post somewhere in which I tell of Miss Kershaw and her revealing positions at the front of form. There was indeed considerable competition to take the appropriate desks in English lessons-- I've never forgotten it ! It was the first thing that came to mind when I looked for the three females and saw there Miss Kershaw.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

This almost - but not quite - makes me wish I were a little older. This woman had left by the time I started. Pity - the prospect of going to KBGS and seeing a Sharon Stone impersonator would have done wonders for my enthusiasm.

Current location (optional) melbourne

Denis, Further to Section 4 of the Panora; there are one or two faces there that I remember well, and some are sadly, no longer with us. Below Harry Harpin is Colin(Ezra)Daniels, who played with me in the Colts XV as hooker, and was also a fast but somewhat erratic, bowler with Oxenhope. He died a few years back, as I recall. To the left of Colin is Geoff Holroyd, a very competant quick bowler who played for School, and Ingrow St Johns. I think Geoff is still alive. On Colin's right is a lad called Tom Bailey from Eastwood School; a keen cyclist and a lovely lad, who was sadly, crushed to death somewhere near Steeton Top by a truck which pushed the cycling Tom into a wall. Two places away from Tom, to the right, are three Davids in a line. David Baldwin, still alive and kicking; I remember he always used to walk home from School all the way up Park Lane,every day!! Then David Flather, who was reported 'lost at sea' by all accounts, in his early 20's. How unusual is that? Finally David Webster, another smashing lad who played Rugby with me in the Colts XV. David's older brother Gerald, had earlier captained the School 1st XV. David it was who loaned me the 1946 Panora to scan the 5 Sections which you see on the Website today. In fact, he GAVE me the framed photograph a couple of years ago, when he was moving house and 'downsizing'. Lucky me! Thanks, David.

Unfortunately, there are few contributors to this site who can add as much as David - especially for this period. Remarkable memories, David, special insights.

I believe there are many possible contributors who visit this site who leave not a trace behind that the rest of us could savour. Come on, share your memories with us and enrich for future generations the reputation of our school, fast receding into oblivion.

If you can't do it yourself - like others, get someone to do it for you.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

I was a friend of "Sheb" Webster and he had a battery- driven kids´car which we drove around the roads where he lived,somewhere up Oakworth Rd, our first experience of anything power driven. He was captain of the Under 14´s and a photo is in the archive. Does anyone know what happened to him,and to Jeff Scott,another close friend at the time ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

Peter, I remember Gerald Webster reasonably well. He was a good friend of my late father-in-law, John Brownbridge, who owned an Alvis motor car and I believe played a bit of Rugby with the School and/or Keighlians in a minor role. I think he played scrum-half. Anyway, the two men had the love of cars and rugby and obviously enjoyed each others company.
On one of the few occasions I spoke with David Webster, who also worked on cars and taught 'motor mechanics' at Keighley Tech.,I asked him about Gerald and if my memory serves me well, he told me that Gerald had a garage or two in Lancashire; Blackburn area I think. Whether he was selling them or servicing them,or both, I don't know. And now that David has left the area I wouldn't know how to find out exactly where he is or what he's doing.
By the way Peter, how did he come by the nickname,'Sheb'?. I notice the name was on your 'list of players', underneath the 1944/5 U14 XV photo(written in your own fair hand). David

Do not know how he got "Sheb",and he was a forward. I am not surprised he went into the motor trade as his father was manager (or owner) of that garage below Victoria Park.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 41/46

That would be 'Cox's', Peter and that would make sense because his brother David, also did his apprenticeship there, as I recall. Interesting!