KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking Back

Your dad, Dennis Clough and I were in the same form. On the Form photo I am seated on the front row between Passingham and Micklethwaite. On the 1946 panoramic photograph, Dennis Clough is seated crosslegged not far from me on the front row between Inman and Ronald Robert Burgess about 15 from the left. I didn't know your dad very well but I'd be pleased to exchange notes. I too would be interested to know how the lads of 4X 1948 have fared in the 62 years that have elapsed since the photo was taken. There were two Cloughs in the form - the other was Alan, who I seem to recall that David Seeley was in touch with.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

Hi Denis, thankyou so much for the message. A few years have passed since that picture was taken. The pictures are fantastic, passed them on to dad, and he took great delight in telling me what a good lad he was at school in them days, some how i don't believe that, he looked like a little ball of mischeif, and he fails to remember he had told me many a tail of skipping school and getting the cane when i was growing up ..... He said to ask how you are and hope the years have been good to you, are still in Keighley ?

Shell

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1949

Current location (optional) Keighley

Good Morning Dennis,

I was wondering when I might read a response to the reply I'd posted and here it is! Thanks.
You can tell your dad that I haven't lived in the Keighley area since 1955 when I left to do my National Service and to all intents and purposes, severed my immediate connections with the area. I moved around the UK in my job, seeking promotions and ending up in the flatlands of Norfolk, staying down here on retirement 16 years ago. I am in touch with only Ian Micklethwaite from the 4X class. Maybe your dad knows what happened to his group.
You refer to your dad as a little ball of mischief. Not a bad description! I can still raise a smile when I think of him in the gym alongside Malcolm Smith who was then rather bigger! Malcolm went on to higher things. He slimmed, qualified as a Pathologist and [I think] worked as a Professor at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. Peter Greenwood, when last I heard, worked as an undertaker in Keighley. Peter Smith became an Architect and before local government reorganisation in 1974, worked for Keighley BC.

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Hello Dennis. Have a word with your dad and tell him that that a couple of his old form-mates attend the Keighley Retired Men's Forum every week from now until the end of April, and they would pleased to see you any Thursday morning from 9.30am onwards, to chew over old times. The two 'old lads' in question are Alan Clough and Peter Wellock, who both appear on the 4X Class photo with Dennis. We meet at the Keighley Playhouse at the bottom of Devonshire Street and if he manages to climb the stairs the first man he will meet should be Peter Wellock. Pop in and say 'hello'.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Dennis,

I'm afraid that my memory lapsed when I said that on the 1946 panorama your dad was sitting inbetween Burgess and Inman. I identified Burgess correctly but the other boy is D Illingworth! Sorry. If your father does happen to make contact with D Illingworth, would he please tell Illingworth that I still have in my posession, his copy of 'A Shepherds Life', by W H Hudson, the book we used for School Certificate English Literature in 1950. Illingworth let me borrow it. He can have it back now. I have finished with it.

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

Hi, thankyou for the Message about the old boys meeting on a Thursday, i have passed it on to my dad, and he will try and get down one week. He passes his regards on to you.

Thanx David x

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1949