KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trip to France, Switzerland and Italy about 1957?

Does any one remember?
We had Trenouth and Mitchell as leaders/masters. We travelled via London to Paris, stayed o/night and continued by rail to Italy, stopping at Kandersteg to go up the mountain by cable car to a beautifull lake. then on to Milan via Simplon tunnel, Rome, Florence and Naples and Amalfi coast etc.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-58

Current location (optional) Melbourne Aus

Re: Trip to France, Switzerland and Italy about 1957?

I went on several "Bentex" tours and remember this one well.It made a lasting impression on me and caused me to revisit many of the places in later life.The highlights were many-Milan Cathedral,the Duomo in Florence,the Pantheon in Rome,the ascent of Vesuvius to name but a few.Looking back in this day and age it seems incredible that if nothing was planned we were allowed to wander off on our own,completely unsupervised,even in Naples of all places.We once got into a potentially sticky situation here and had to make a hurried exit.In Florence we became regulars at a little bar run by a friendly Italian without a word of English who we christened "Uncle Sam"If this happened nowadays Ben and Tex would be looking in sits.vac. for new jobs.I am eternally grateful to both of them for giving up their time to give us these opportunites for foreign travel

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-1961

Current location (optional) Filey

Re: Trip to France, Switzerland and Italy about 1957?

Yes, Bill, I couldn't agree more. I went on what I think was the first of their ventures (I think Frank Wellock was on it too, though I may be mistaken) to Holland, in 1953. Just a week, but my first taste of 'abroad'. It seemed like a story-book adventure at the time. Of course, it was not long after the end of the war and the Dutch people everywhere just took us up and treated us like royalty. I should have gone on their next excursion, to Denmark, but had to withdraw - probably my parents couldn't afford it. But it was a great thing for them to do in those relatively relaxed and innocent times.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1951-58