KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Xmas Reunion at the Lord Rodney

Had a terrific Night at the Lord Rodney in Keighley on 23rd Dec. The Annual Xmas reunion was attended by Vernon Rooke, Robin Nichols, Dave Lightowler,
Spike Rannard, Pete Carr, Mick Linyard,
Ian Sanderson. Steve Mitchell, Joe Gordon, John Denby,
Kev McGee and several others. The conversation was continuous but had to be shouted to overcome the volume of the music. It was great to hear all the old anecdotes. Yes we've heard them all before but they are still funny. The unfunny bit of the evening was the snow which fell whilst we were enjoying ourselves. The buses and taxis were off the road so I had to walk home. Good job I'd had a few pints of Taylor's Landlord to give me the courage for the walk.If anyone would like to attend our reunion next year, watch out for the announcement on the website.
Happy New Year to all.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1964

Current location (optional) Keighley

Re: Xmas Reunion at the Lord Rodney

Pics?

Alas no

Well how about it for next year? One of you old geezers must have a mobile phone with a camera in it. If not, borrow one from a grandchild. By the way, didn't the annual reunion always take place at the Roebuck in Utley? The pre Christmas session at the Roebuck was already a tradition when I was in the sixth form in 1964-5.

Yes you are correct Allan. It was originally the Robuck then it moved to the Rugby Club then to Wetherspoons and now it's at The Lord Rodney.

That Vernon Rooke gets about a bit - he was in the Old White Bear in Crosshills on Christmas Eve.

Was Silsden's and Wales' finest Trevor Hockey the landlord of the Rodney prior to his early death?

Current location (optional) Bournemouth

He was, yes. Not a Cobbydaler, though, although he did have a corner shop on Bolton Road for a short while.

Trevor Hockey was a Lawkholme Laner.

Any further info Terry ??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Trevor was a Bfd streeter. Trevor's big brother, Alan, and I,walked to Parkwood School together, minding Trev who had a tenniser which he would dribble all the way over Station Bge and down Low Mill and along Parkwood Street defying us to take the ball from him. I lost contact when we went our separate ways in our early teens. Later (circa 1960)I was sitting on the front step on exam leave when he walked down the street and proudly flashed his Bfd City F.C. badge and blazer, having just signed as an apprentice. I heard that he often put on pre-match ball skill exhibitions before the kick-off at Valley Parade. He had a varied professional career with several 1st Div'n clubs - culminating in a Welsh International cap. His dad had moved north from Monmouthshire (then an English County) to play rugby league (at Lawkholme, I believe). After the Maud Redcliffe reform of local government, Trev qualified for Welsh representation and gained some wider recognition. In the '80s I worked with a PE teacher, a qualified FA coach, who had coached in the USA and had met and worked with Trevor there. I can't be precise over the date but on one occasion just before c 1987, on a visit to Keighley, I called in The Shoulder of Mutton(?) in Thwaites for a Sunday lunchtime pint. A footy team came in and with them was Trev. I approached him and before I could say a word he said "F#####g Hell, Terry Marston - do you remember when we used to watch the Test Matches on the telly at your house?" That was Trevor - never forgot his roots. He gave a lot back to the game especially in the Keighley area and probably, but for his untimely death, would have been recognised at a high level.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Did he not play soccer for Silsden? I played against him once and very unpleasant it was too.

Current location (optional) Bournemouth

I played cricket against Duncan Townson(School v Old Boys-Lawkholme,1950), and that was 'very unpleasant',too. He hit me for two straight sixes over the KRLFC Stand in my second(and last)over!!!!I still have difficulty getting off to sleep at night!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Back to the Hockey brothers; Trevor and Alan had a younger brother, Mostin, who also died young. My eldest brother,Bob, tells me that Mostin worked at Dean, Smith & Grace and died of injuries sustained in a road accident, in his early 20's. A mosque now stands on the site of the family's former home in Bradford Street.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

It also occupies the former site in Brown Street of "T'Wood'Ut", a chipshop of repute.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln