KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kbgs.com goes high tech

I am in the process of converting the site to a database driven design (asp.net + MS SQL 2008 for those interested).

This means that all photos and associated comments will be accessible in a"dynamic" form. For example, anyone (with permission) can upload their own photos. Photos can be sorted and cross referenced, for example, display all photos from 1955-1960.

Very early and basic functionality can be found on the home page at the bottom under Beta Version 2.0.
Feedback welcome.

Re: kbgs.com goes high tech

An interesting development. Does this mean we are moving into the Wikipedia mode? I would be interested to understand more about entitlement to upload photos. Will it be possible to add names to otherwise "captionless" photos? Or to correct known errors? And who will arbitrate where there is variance?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Does this mean we are moving into the Wikipedia mode?
>> Not Wiki but similar in some ways

I would be interested to understand more about entitlement to upload photos. Will it be possible to add names to otherwise "captionless" photos?
>> Yes, in fact there is a major task of taking all the exisiting photos and populating them into the database. New or amended comments may be added.

Or to correct known errors? And who will arbitrate where there is variance?
>> Not sure yet, currently it's upload only. Will add editing later.

I've added "thumbnail" images, see here and click on reunions to see what I mean.

This looks very promising. I await (patiently) with some excitement for the developments to unfold. Chris, you're becoming a "national treasure"

Meanwhile if anyone has some photos to add to the site, pls give the new "Add photos" link a try, and let me know how you get on.

Chris, this looks great - what about photos for a new category??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Email me to add new categories, or to amend details of photos added....or to suggest new things.

I've added "Search photo database " so that, for example, you can search all photos between 1958 and 1964 that are related to Rugby and Cricket.

Still need to populate more of the database but have finished the Panoramas.

I've enhanced Search photo database so that, for example, you can search the descriptions for all photos containing the word "Firth".

Have finished adding the Camp photos.

Over 300 photos & descriptions entered. But not even half way!

Muchas gratias (?)

surely you mean muchas grassy arse (well it is a schoolboy website!)

You're doing a great job Chris, the new format is much easier to navigate and looks very professional.

Yes Chris - we certainly appreciate all the hard work you put into the site. Your dad would be very proud indeed to see what's become of the initial concept of just a few years ago!

400 up!

All the cricket photos now in the new database. Just a handful of Rugby photos left to convert, then everything will be done.

All done.

Interesting to see we have (accidental?) visitors from places such as Russian Federation (RU), Iran, Islamic Republic of (IR), Pakistan (PK) and China (CN).

KBGS Boys clearly went all around the globe!

Thanks, Chris.Good job - well done.Sorry if I was inadvertently impatient a few weeks back when I thought some pics in the old format had been lost.
Appreciation!