KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Alan Bennett mentions Keighley

Listening to national treasure and writer Alan Bennett from Leeds is always an enriching experience. Mark Lawson interviewed him last week on the BBC. Bennett mentioned Airedale Hospital, Keighley, where his gay friend and broadcaster Russell Harty spent his last few weeks. He said it was an excellent hospital. I suppose it depends who the night matron is.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-67

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Alan Bennett mentions Keighley

It is indeed an excellent hospital. I personally do not have a single complaint about any of the services I have used there. Doctors are considerate and expert in their field; food is good; waiting times are short and always kept. No complaints. Personally I think it is a fad to complain about the NHS. People complain because the Daily Mail insists that we should.

Well said,Arthur. From my recent experience of the NHS I have nothing but praise for the expertise,efficiency and kindness of the staff. The ambulance arrived within eight minutes;I was taken directly to Leeds General Infirmary and straight into theatre within the "golden hour"; transferred to Harrogate Hospital Cardiac Care Unit and discharged four days later with a carrier bag full of pills which I shall have to take for the rest of my life and all of it free at the "point of sale". No system yet devised is perfect and a miniscule percentage will be failed by the system, yet it is these failures that get all the publicity. I am thankfull that I hold no opinions in common with Daily Mail readers

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate

Yes he also mentions Keighley in one of the Talking Heads (Its was on TV last week) I think its the one called 'A Bed in the Lentils' which is my favourite, together with 'A Chip in the Sugar'

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

Alec, glad to conclude that you are back in circulation - at least in terms of your postings here on kbgs. A trying time, but you came through - hope you go from strength to strength.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Yes, good to know you are ok, Alec. Hope you and Sue have a smashing Christmas!

Doug and Gill

Thankyou,gentlemen,for you good wishes. A merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year to you and yours. Warmest regards from myself and the enemy!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 55-60

Current location (optional) Harrogate