KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An English teacher of excellence has died

I hate to energise this website too much -- but I note the excellent former head of English one Robin Williams has died at the age of 78 in Pendle/Colne. Famous for his demob suit and bristling moustache he cut a bit of a dash at Oakbank post the town centre departure. There is no doubt his Shakespearian knowledge was first class. The final death throes of KBGS was blessed by his literary dynamism and eccentricity.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-69

Current location (optional) Huddersfield

Re: An English teacher of excellence has died

Sad to hear that " Mad Willy' has passed on. He was a great eccentric who loved his subject.
He took me through 'A' level English.
Bless him.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1960-1967

Current location (optional) Doha, Qatar

Re: An English teacher of excellence has died

I travelled down to Skipton from Embsay just before Christmas with Peter (Rocks) Wilby and his wife, who told me that 'Mad Willy' had died.

Peter had visited him the week before and he said that 'Willy' was working in his garden, preparing it for this year's planting. When Peter asked him when he was going to 'slow down', he was told that he (Willy) had too much to do.

He apparently suffered a heart attack when attempting to remove a tree stump from an area that he wanted to plant.

A great bloke on reflection - though we might not thought so during his lessons!

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959 - 1966

Current location (optional) Embsay