KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beating arrogant Bradford Grammar School

A real topic to be proud of. I can recall beating Bradford Grammar School consistently at cricket. By that I mean under 14, Colts, Second and Firsts. Am I the only one to resent their arrogance and know what it's like to have left their pavillion with a victory under one's belt. Happy days.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1961-69

Current location (optional) Huddersfield

Re: Beating arrogant Bradford Grammar School

Just as satisfying at rugby. Never lost once. I think it was down to their tawdry school rugby jerseys - and a lack of preparedness to meet the Keighley killer instinct.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Your memory is legendary, Terry. But is there evidence that other teams regularly beat BGS? I would like to believe it is true. Are there records of school match results anywhere? I'm curious also about Keighlians results for the early 60s. Is there an easily accessible list or would one have to wade through weekly reports in the Keighley News?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1954-59

Current location (optional) Denholme (garethwhittaker99@hotmail.com)

Or, Gareth, The Yorkshire Post who had a schools' rugby correspondent (Brown??) who I think was in GSS's loop because there were often accounts of KBGS games in Thursday's (?)edition. One thing amused me, and peed off Roger, was that having had a season as hooker before Manton got in the team as winger - for some reason Brown(?) credited Marston with Manton's tries which were many. If it had been accurate, I would have been the highest scoring Yorkshire schools' hooker. Sadly my haul was zilch. Tough, Rog.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln