KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Air Raid Shelters

I was certain that I'd seen photographs taken from the window of the Physics Lab showing the air raid shelters beneath the playground under construction, but I couldn't think where. I've now remembered. They were printed in one of the copies of the Keighlian loaned to me last year by Tom Bell Jnr. Tom has in his possession, a volume made up from all the issues printed during the time his father was at KBGS. I should think that the shelters were built in 1939/40. Am I correct Tom?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 -50

Current location (optional) Norfolk

I was at school 43-46 and we never went into the air raid shelters in the playground . There were stacks of sandbags around the main building entrances in and around the centre of town.I don't remember taking a gas mask to school either so that must have been in the early days of the war.As for domestic shelters ,dad built a beauty 6ft deep and boarded throughout with steel roof and the excavated soil put back on top. We never used it and it housed a cat trap to keep the things off the vegetable patch.
The nearest air raid siren was on the West Lane Mill roof, just level with our bedroom and we would sit bolt upright in bed whenever it went off. Still hate to hear the siren to this day.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania

Pestered by defecating cats as I am, I would be interested to hear of how your cat trap worked, Mike.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry, I used to have a problem with feral cats, some the size of bulldogs. I discovered these lead tablets that you injuect via a rifle soon puts a dent in the population.

I'm told they can also put a lump in your cheek Marcus.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

...and years later, they can leave a crater