KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stroke Identification

This revised piece of valued information was sent to me recently. I know the site and postings are meant to be of a KBGS flavour but it was suggested to me by another frequent poster that the content would be of value to readers of this site. So here goes - (not my own text)

"During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics). She said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ.

Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps! Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.
Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these asks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue..

If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people, you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

I have done my part. Will you? "

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Re: Stroke Identification

Terry I would like to send this on to my friends and relatives but how do I do it off the site ? Jolly useful information and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Open a WORD document. Highlight Terry's posting and copy and paste into your WORD document. Save it. Send it as an attachment to your contacts.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Thanks, Shaun. Good luck, Mike.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

I am living proof of what Terry has told you. I had a stroke in March 2006. The first sign was my left arm went numb followed by my mouth distorting and then my left leg went numb, then the whole of my left side went and I fell over. Luckily I was at home and was
in Airedale Hospital within 30 minutes. I spent 6 weeks in hospital being looked after by the wonderful nurses and physios on Ward 5. After 6 weeks I walked out of the hospital albeit with a stick The stick soon went and I am pleased to say(touch wood)I have made a full recovery, thanks to determination and several pills per day. One thing I would add is get your blood pressure checked regularly.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-64

Current location (optional) Keighley

Thanks Shaun, I will try to follow instructions shortly

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 43-46

Current location (optional) Tasmania