KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Prefects

Reading this weeks` K.N.-- one headline said-" Solicitor Halliwell becomes a judge". I well remember him at K.B.G.S.as a Prefect.!!Jogging my memory of Prefects in general -one sticks out well.As a raw recruit after Morning Assemblies in the Hall this Prefect put the fear of God into his seated congregation. My class-mates and me nicknamed him "Puff Perfect or Mr.Perfect ",due to his narcisstic tendencies i.e. hair we thought!Probably bald now!
No doubt posters on this `site will put me straight on how on became one of the "Chosen Few?"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Haworth

Re: Prefects

I don't know how Old Nick arrived at his prefects.

Watthey's first prefects (1958-9) were elected by the teaching staff voting for their preferred candidates from a list of nominees submitted by 6th formers.

Not sure what happened in subsequent years.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

The only light I can shed Terry is that, when I was in the 6th form (63-65), we were never asked for nominations.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-65

Current location (optional) leeds

Think you might have got John Halliwell confused with another prefect called 'O'Brien' John.

John Halliwell isn't much different now from how he looked in the 60's John, just older - like the rest of us.

Thats right Dave, the prefect known as 'puff' was called O'Brien. I seem to recall he caught TB and was away for a long time

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

I well remember "Puff" o`Brian and Halliwell.No I haven`t got confused.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1959-1966

Current location (optional) Haworth