KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dress code, new photos and other stuff

Was just having a look at some recently posted photos. There's one of the prefects in 1963, and I think, Geoff, that the missing Christian name is Barry (others will correct no doubt if not)! The picture of the prefects' party (ommigod, is that Babycham they're drinking???) tells a tale of the casual fashions of the time (apart from the dude in the back row who came in his school uniform). Then there's the picture of Room D1, with the pupils of the day wearing snazzy suits. So, what exactly was the dress code pre 1958, when AEW gave pupils the choice of green blazer (forms 1-4)/stripey blazer(form 5 up) or green tweed sports jacket(alternative to stripey blazer)? It seems the stripey blazer was around at the time of the prefects' party -i.e. pre 1958. But other than that it seems Old Nick was pretty laissez faire in the sartorial department? Discuss

Re: dress code, new photos and other stuff

Under Old Nev, everyone but everyone wore the green blazer and house accompaniments (tie, badge, socks) when they entered the school. But a significant number soon slipped from this standard - choosing to wear (unchallenged by the establishment) alternative replacements - individual sports jackets and ties and trousers. See the panorama photos before AEW's regnum. Perhaps the most revealing section is of pupils in the 5th and 6th forms. As a young boy scout in 2A, I had a brown leather jerkin and brown short cord trousers which I chose to wear to school. I was not prepared for the only challenge which came from the Old Man who confronted me on the D corridor. He merely pointed out that I was not in school uniform - but did not imply or require that I should conform - but I did when I grew out of them. There wasn't much money about in those days. There'd been a war and clothing rationing didn't end until 1949.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Re: dress code, new photos and other stuff

In 1950 the instruction was Green blazers with house badge, school cap with house badge, grey flannels long (or short), if possible grey socks with house colour hooped tops (if available) and black shoes.

See photo "3 from Lawkholme 1952"

This went for Forms 1-4 but in the fifth form a green sports coat was acceptable.

Note that on the 1954 panoramic Section 3
"Tank" Laycock plus a few others were wearing the recently introduced mouldy humbug blazers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1950/1955

Current location (optional) Keighley