Rapture Flight to Heaven

​​​​​​​
Pre-Tribulation Rapture Forum ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

In Loving Memory
  April 29, 1947 - September 5, 2020

Update: On Saturday, September 5th, 2020, the founder, administrator, and head moderator of this forum, Valerie S., went Home to be with the Lord.  Her obituary can be found on https://memorials.demarcofuneralhomes.com/valerie-skrzyniak/4321619/index.php.

This posting is dedicated to the forever memory and honor of Valerie, who was the founder of, and the inspiration for, this Web site.  The Web site will continue to operate in Valerie's remembrance, as requested by her family.  God bless!

Dedicated to God  the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit​​​​​​​
1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.     

​​​​​​​2 Timothy 4:7-8
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing

PRE-TRIBULATION RAPTURE - MAIN Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Excerpt from Dr. Robert Jeffress' book--"A Place called Heaven," Chapter 7

FAIR USE FOR INFORMATION & DISCUSSION PURPOSES!
For Your Discernment!

Our Bodies Will Be Physical

After making the case for the resurrection of Christ and the resurrection of believers in 1 Corinthians 15:1-9, Paul addressed the question of what kind of resurrection bodies we'll receive in verses 39-50. The simple answer is that we'll have different bodies than the ones we now inhabit--as different as the bodies of animals, stars, and plants are from each other. Paul explained:

All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another of birds, and another of fish. There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the is one, and the glory of the earthly is another. There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another of the stars; for star differs from in glory: (1 Cor. 15:39-41)

Paul's point is this: the body of a fish is not the body of a bird; the body of a bird is not the body of a beast; the body of a beast is not the body of a human (a truth that obviously is contrary to the basic premise of evolution). A star is not a planet and a moon is not a star. Each one follows its own kind, just as God intended at the beginning of creation.

Similarly, our heavenly bodies will differ from our earthly bodies. Why should we find it difficult to believe that there is one kind of body created for inhabiting earth and another kind of body for inhabiting heaven? But to ensure that we wouldn't misunderstand, Paul detailed the differences between our earthly and heavenly bodies:

So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. (vv. 42-44)

The Greek word for "body" used here is soma. In every instance in the New Testament, soma refers to a physical body. So, when Paul used soma in verse 44, in reference to the "natural body" and "spiritual body," he made clear that our resurrection bodies would be just as physical as our natural bodies are physical.

But just because our heavenly bodies will be physical doesn't mean they will be physical in the same way our earthly bodies are. For example:

* Our earthly bodies decay; our heavenly bodies will endure.
* Our earthly bodies are infected with sin; our heavenly bodies will be free of sin.
* Our earthly bodies are weak; our heavenly bodies will be powerful.
* Our earthly bodies are for the old earth; our heavenly bodies are for the new earth.

The differences between our earthly bodies and our heavenly bodies often lead people to ask whether we will eat and drink or wear clothes in heaven. And what age will we be? As with all questions about our resurrection bodies, we must look to the resurrection body of Jesus for answers since He is the pattern--the protokos--of our resurrection bodies.

We're already seen, on at least three specific occasions, that the resurrected Jesus shared a meal with His disciples. But even before Jesus' death and resurrection He promised His disciples they would gather at His banquet table and feast with Him during the millennial kingdom. (Luke 22:29-30). Obviously this event during the millennia occurs after Jesus' and the disciples' resurrections, when they are living in their new bodies. This promise indicates that we, too, will share meals with Jesus and the disciples in our new bodies.

We'll also wear clothes in heaven. Some object to this idea because Adam & Eve, before the fall, didn't wear clothes. Although life on the new earth will be Eden-like, it won't be like the popular survival show %%bbCodeItem_6%%, in which a man & woman attempt to survive in the wild for 21 days without clothes.

When John saw the resurrected Christ on Patmos, Jesus was "clothed in a robe reaching to the feet, and girded across His chest with a golden sash" (Rev. 1:13). And when Christ spoke to the church at Sardis, He told them: "He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments" (3:5), which John confirmed with his own eyes (7:9).

When the bride of Christ--the church--is presented to Jesus at His 2nd coming, we will be clothed in "fine linen, bright and clean" (19:8). And when Jesus, the conquering King, comes to finalize His war with evil, it is said He will be "clothed with a robe dipped in blood" (v. 13).

We will also retain our sexual identity in our new bodies. Some have wrongly concluded that we'll be androgynous in heaven--genderless--because Paul claimed, "there is neither...male or female...in Christ Jesus" (Gal. 3:28). But Paul wasn't referring to the sexual nature of our bodies in the next life. He was referring to our equality in Christ--in this life. The fact that some people did not recognize the resurrected Lord immediately (like the two on the road to Emmaus) strongly argues that Jesus looked like any other man instead of some "otherworldly" sexless alien.

Our bodies will probably be resurrected at an ideal, youthful, and mature age. Though we can't be sure, many theologians believe we'll be in our 30s. Thirty is considered the peak of perfection, both mentally and physically. (I think I remember that!) It was the age when Old Testament priests began their ministry in the temple and when Christ began His public ministry. So, for those of us little bit older, go back and look at old pictures and imagine your eternal self when you were 30. And for those younger than 30, including children . . .well, you have something to look forward to!

--End of Part 6--

I sincerely hope that babies, children, and teenagers will be resurrected as babies, children, and teenagers, with the capacity to mature to adulthood! I would really hate to see the Rapture rob them of their childhoods and youth.

Please do read on, Kathy, for here is still more of Dr. Robert Jeffress' words:

Our Bodies Will Be Perfect

We will have real, physical bodies. But, as we've seen, they will be different than the bodies we inhibit today--they will be free from sin and therefore free from disease, decay, and death. Remember, in heaven, "the first [the things of the earth] have passed away" (Rev. 21:4). Cancer, heart attacks, and strokes will all be a thing of the past. So will blindness, deafness, and paralysis, as well as gray hair, wrinkles, and widening girths. Missing limbs will be restored. From the top of our heads to the bottoms of our feet, we'll be perfect in every way.

"Can you imagine the hope this gives someone spinal cord-injured like me?" my friend Joni Eareckson Tada asked. "Or someone who is cerebral palsied, brain-injured, or who has multiple sclerosis? Imagine the hope this gives someone who is manic depressive. No other religion, no other philosophy promises new bodies, hearts, and minds. Only in the Gospel of Christ do hurting people find such incredible hope."

We can assume that our resurrection bodies will be attractive and retain the same physical traits of our individual bodies today. In other words, not every man will have the physique of a bodybuilder and the looks of a movie star. Nor will women have the shape of a fashion model and the face of an angel. Your face will be your face. Your body will be your body--tall, short, thin, or plump. But all will be healthy and appealing. We won't have to worry about body image, comparing ourselves with others. Plastic surgeons will not be needed in heaven. Nor will cosmetics--sorry all you Mary Kay-ers. As one writer claims, "We won't have to try to look beautiful--we will be beautiful."

Our Bodies Will Be Personal

Your body, your memories, your gifts and talents, your passions, and your spirit are what makes you you. In the resurrection, all of these will be perfected and glorified, "in the twinkling of an eye" (1 Cor. 15:52). But you won't become someone else or something else (like an angel). You will become the you God intended you to be.

When John wrote that we "will be like [Jesus]" (1 John 3:2), the apostle didn't mean that we will become mini-Christs, like Dr. Evil's "Mini-Me in Austin Powers movies. We will become like Christ in character and with a similar heavenly DNA, but I'll be Robert Jeffress--only perfected. And if you're a believer, you'll be Sandy Smith or Bob Brown or [insert your name]--only perfected.

Think of it like this: you probably have a computer and use certain software for word processing or developing spreadsheets. When an upgrade becomes available, you don't get a whole new program; you get a better version of the same program--only with new and better features. Likewise, with our resurrection we'll have upgrades, including new features (though without the glitches or programming errors), but we'll still be who we are.

This was Jesus' point when He appeared to the disciples after the resurrection and said, "It is I Myself" (Luke 24:39). Who He was before His death and resurrection is who He is after His death and resurrection. Randy Alcorn made a strong case for continuity when he wrote:

If we weren't ourselves in the afterlife then we couldn't be held accountable for what we did in this life. The Judgment would be meaningless. If Barbara is no longer Barbara, she can't be rewarded or held accountable for anything Barbara did. She'd have to say, "But that wasn't me." The doctrines of judgment and eternal rewards depend on people's retaining their distinct identities from this life to the next."

Part of our distinctive identity is that we'll keep our own individual names in heaven. God promised the righteous citizens of Israel that their individual names would endure throughout eternity:

"For just as the new heavens and new earth
Which I make will endure before Me," declares the
LORD,
"So your offspring and your name will endure."
(Isa. 66:22)

--End of Part 7--

Our Bodies Will Be Personal (Continued...)

And Jesus called those currently in heaven by their earthly names. "I say to you that many will come from east and west, and recline at the table with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 8:11).

But some will also be given additional names in heaven. Speaking to the church at Pergamum, the resurrected Christ said, "To him who overcomes...I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he/she (I added "she".--Tammy S.) who receives it" (Rev. 2:17). These new names don't invalidate our old names, nor do they erase our personality. In fact, these new names reflect the true personality and responsibility of those who receive them. For example, Jacob, which means "heel-catcher" or "supplanter," was also Israel--"one who strives with God." Simon, which means "God has heard," was also Peter--"the rock." And Saul, which means "prayed for," was also Paul--"small" or "humble."

We've looked at a lot of details concerning our resurrection bodies. But what does it all mean? Simply this: when we get to heaven we'll recognize each other as the unique individuals we are. We'll recognize saints whom we've never seen before. Peter, James, and John recognized Moses and Elijah when they appeared with Jesus at His transfiguration (Matt. 17:4).

The relationships we have formed on earth will continue in heaven. But they will continue without strife or enmity. In heaven, all things are made new. "Our eternal reunion with Christian loved ones and friends will be ceaselessly glorious," theologian Ron Rhodes wrote:

Keep in mind that we will no longer have sin natures. There will be no fights among loved ones. There won't be any resentment or envy or jealousy. There won't be any oneupmanships or rivalries. There won't be any cross words or misunderstanding or selfishness. Our relationships in heaven will truly be wonderful and utterly satisfying.

Now that is something truly to look forward to in that "place called heaven."

--End of Chapter 7--

that will be a wonderful day, the day we are renewed by God's power, the way He planned
and no more disagreements or arguments
we will know Jesus face to face