Rapture Flight to Heaven

​​​​​​​
Pre-Tribulation Rapture Forum ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

In Loving Memory
  April 29, 1947 - September 5, 2020

Update: On Saturday, September 5th, 2020, the founder, administrator, and head moderator of this forum, Valerie S., went Home to be with the Lord.  Her obituary can be found on https://memorials.demarcofuneralhomes.com/valerie-skrzyniak/4321619/index.php.

This posting is dedicated to the forever memory and honor of Valerie, who was the founder of, and the inspiration for, this Web site.  The Web site will continue to operate in Valerie's remembrance, as requested by her family.  God bless!

Dedicated to God  the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit​​​​​​​
1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.     

​​​​​​​2 Timothy 4:7-8
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing

PRE-TRIBULATION RAPTURE - MAIN Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Today's Promises & Devotionals From the Bible - January 2018

Fair Use for Information and Discussion Purposes

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory? The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law. But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. (1 Corinthians 15:51-58)

Reflection
In an instant, the saints of the Christian faith will be caught up in the air to meet their Lord in wonderful glory. What an incredible picture of the church ascending to their glorious home at the long anticipated trumpet trill! Indeed, the victory over death and sin is evident through the return of Christ and we shall reign with Him forevermore. This promise of hope and everlasting life only brings us to a place of great thanksgiving to our beautiful Saviour.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=1

Re: Today's Promises & Devotionals From the Bible - January 2018

JVIM - Today's Devotional - Jan 1
Deut 33:25-29 - Everlasting Arms

Memory Verse:
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them (Deuteronomy 33:27).
When did God have His beginning?

Who was before Him?

These common questions have but one answer: God is eternal. He has always existed. Note this revelation to Isaiah: “Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen; that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour” (Isaiah 43:10,11). Go back in time as far as you like and God is there: “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Genesis 1:1).

Man is tied to time. We reckon time in segments because our lives are limited to approximately threescore years and ten (see Psalm 90:10). All plans for the future must be conditioned on whether or not we will be alive.

God has no such limitation. He will always exist. His promises are forever because He will endure forever. Because He lives, we can lean on the everlasting arms and be “safe and secure from all alarms.”

F. B. Meyer explained: “The Oriental shepherd was always ahead of his sheep. He was in front. Any attempt upon them had to take him into account. Now God is in front. He is in the tomorrows. It is tomorrow that fills men with dread. But God is there already, and all tomorrows of our life have to pass before Him before they can get to us.”

As Fanny Crosby said, we are “safe in the arms of Jesus,” the everlasting arms.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. (John 14:12)

Reflection
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit allows the believer the privilege of greater works to honour the omnipotent and loving God. How sweet and wonderful is the life of the believer who trusts in the risen Saviour. Simply having the faith of a mustard seed allows us to do wonderful things for the glory and honour of Christ. Not only will we have the power to do the wonders of Christ found in the New Testament, but we also will be able to do other incredible miracles. As believers, we will see God's goodness and greatness in the work He does through us. May all glory and honour go unto Him forever and ever.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=2

Empty Net Syndrome
by Greg Laurie
Jan 2, 2018

Simon Peter said, "I'm going fishing." "We'll come, too," they all said. So they went out in the boat, but they caught nothing all night.
—John 21:3

It was déjà vu time for the disciples. They had been fishing all night on the Sea of Galilee and hadn’t caught anything. The Lord had risen and had already appeared to some of the disciples. There were no clear marching orders, so they thought they would go back to what they knew how to do: fish.

Now it was early in the morning, probably still dark. They saw a figure standing on the shore. He called out, “Fellows, have you caught any fish?” (John 21:5).

Throughout the Bible, God often asked probing questions when He wanted a confession. In the same way, Jesus was asking His disciples, “Did you catch anything? Have you been successful? Have things gone the way you had hoped they would go? Are you satisfied?”

Why did Jesus want them to admit their failure? So He could bring them to the place where they needed to be.

When they cast the net on the right side of the boat as Jesus told them to, their net became so heavy with fish that they couldn’t pull it in. The Lord was teaching the disciples an important lesson: Failure often can be the doorway to real success.

We need to come to that point in our lives as well. We need to come and say, “Lord, I am not satisfied with the way my life is going. I am tired of doing it my way. I want to do it Your way.” If you will come to God like that, He will extend His forgiveness to you. Then He will take your life and transform it in ways you couldn’t imagine.

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. (1 John 3:1)

Reflection
Did you know that you are loved by the Creator of the Universe? Regardless of who we are, God loves us and is willing to adopt us as sons and daughters. All we have to do is allow Jesus to be our Lord. Do not be surprised if people mock you once you become a believer. They do not understand God's love for them, and therefore, cannot understand your love for God.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=3

The Magnitude of God's Grace - Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace (at BlueLetterBible)
(January 3rd)

In Him we have our redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace…that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus…To me, who am less than the least of all saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable [unfathomable] riches of Christ. (Ephesians 1:7; 2:7; 3:8)

What is the magnitude of God's grace? How extensive are His resources of grace? So often we drastically underestimate God's supply of grace for us.

God is rich in grace. When He forgave our sins, He did so "according to the riches of His grace." Think of the bountiful measure of grace that was bestowed on us to remove our guilt and shame. God generously poured out His grace and washed away our iniquities. Yet, in doing this He did not deplete the treasures of His grace.

In Ephesians 2:7, God speaks of the "exceeding riches of His grace." The Lord's grace is far beyond any richness that we have ever yet comprehended or experienced. God's storehouse of grace is so abundant that He will continue pouring it upon us for the "ages to come." Yes, it will take eternity for the Lord to fully demonstrate His grace toward us. This everlasting demonstration involves showing His kindness toward all who are in Christ Jesus. Think of it-from the boundless resources of God's grace He can make us the objects of His kindness for ever and ever!

One could liken the riches of God's grace to an infinitely vast ocean. Think of the immensity of the oceans of the world. Although they are magnificent in scope, every ocean can be searched out or fathomed. Every ocean has a bottom that can be reached. Though vast, they are finite. But not so with God's grace. Paul testified that the Lord gave him grace to go forth and proclaim the "unsearchable [unfathomable] riches of Christ."

For us, there is more grace available in the heart of God than there is water in all of the oceans of the world! Truly, no matter how much grace we have already discovered in Christ, we have only begun our search.

Heavenly Father, I am awestruck at the magnitude of Your grace. Forgive me for underestimating that grace so often. Enlighten the eyes of my heart that I might know the richness of Your grace. May the immeasurable ocean of Your grace supply my daily need, through Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.

"Fair Use for Information & Discussion Purposes"

He giveth power to the faint; and to [them that have] no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint. (Isaiah 40:29-31)

Reflection
Though we struggle to walk in the light and grow weary in the work of the Lord, our gracious Father is always there to renew us in His strength and power. By the might of God's word, we are encouraged and brought to a place of rest in His wonderful peace and love.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=4

:star2: :heart:

The Power of a Good Example
by Greg Laurie
Jan 4

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
—Philippians 2:12-13

There was a special bond between Paul and the believers in Philippi. They were in great agony over the fact that Paul was in prison and could not be with them. So Paul was saying, “I don’t want you to lower your guard spiritually, even if I am not around. I don’t want you go into some kind of a spiritual cruise control and not continue to move forward.”

Paul wanted the believers to stand on their own two feet spiritually. How were they to do this? We see the answer in verse 12: “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

This doesn’t say to work for your own salvation. It says to work out your own salvation. This phrase, “work out,” means “to carry it to the goal and fully complete it.” In the original language, the phrase also could be translated to mean working a mine, as in mining for gold.

God wants us to carry on to the goal and fully complete our own salvation. In recognition of what God has done for us, we have to realize that He has placed the mother lode of His grace and forgiveness in our lives. We need to mine it. We need to discover it. We need to appropriate it. We need to carry it to the goal.

That may seem like a tall order. It is. But let’s not forget verse 13: “For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.”

Remember, the calling of God is the enabling of God. If God asks you to do something, then He will give you the power to do it.

Jack VanImpe - JVIM Today's Devotional - Jan 4
Matthew 5:1-13 Salt

Memory Verse: Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men (Matthew 5:13).

Jesus called His disciples “the salt of the earth.” Salt preserves and purifies. Christians have the responsibility of preserving certain values and exerting a purifying influence on others. Neither of these obligations can be fulfilled through non-involvement. The quote is well known: “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.” Still, good people are often silent about issues of decency and righteousness and then wonder why evil triumphs and standards fall.
Early Christians gained a reputation for being world changers. They were known as those who turned the world upside down (Acts 17:6). Only one hundred twenty of them were present for the charge to preach the gospel to every creature. They lacked modern methods and not one church building was in existence. There were neither New Testaments nor printing presses to produce them. Even sound systems for preaching to multitudes lay nearly 2,000 years in the future. Yet, that tiny minority was so committed that within a few weeks their number had increased by thousands and in their generation they planted hundreds of churches. Their impact is still felt.
The potential for Christian outreach today is thrilling. Tools exist now that would have staggered the imaginations of our forefathers. But tools are trivial unless people are involved. E.M. Bounds wrote: “Men are God’s method.” The church is looking for better methods. God is looking for better men. People are the greatest potential. You are important. You are the salt of the earth.

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. (Psalm 126:5)

Reflection
How true it is that though we presently toil under a curse, sowing in tears upon this earth, it is in our hope of heavenly promise that we bask, joyful and content. Our earthly suffering is for but a moment! And truly-it is even now working for us who believe, a far and exceeding weight of glory! Rejoice, therefore, in the sweat of your brow and the pain in your side for these do but serve to focus your eyes heavenward to the consuming glory of promise!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=5

Billy Graham Daily Devotion

The Home
by Billy Graham
January 5

Love never faileth . . .
—1 Corinthians 13:8

The first essential for a happy Christian home is that love must be practiced. Homes that are built on animal attraction and lust are destined to crumble and fall. Love is the cohesive force that holds the family together. True love contains an element of spiritual mystery. It embodies loyalty, reverence, and understanding. Love imposes a tremendous responsibility on all members of a family, but it is a responsibility accompanied by glorious rewards. “Love,” says the Bible, “even as Christ . . . loved the church, and gave Himself for it.” How did Christ love the church? He loved it despite its faults, its mistakes, and its weaknesses. True love does not fail. It loves despite personality defects, physical blemishes, and mental quirks. Love is deep, abiding, and eternal. Nothing can bring a sense of security into the home as true love can.

Read More: 7 Answers on Parenting from Billy Graham

Prayer for the day
Help me today, to listen, to love and care for my loved ones with a heart that is made sensitive by You, Jesus.

Billy Graham Daily Devotions

He Is Coming Back
by Billy Graham
Jan 6

Keep a sharp lookout! For you do not know when I will come. . . . Watch for my return!
—Mark 13:35, 36 (TLB)

The great Dwight L. Moody used to say, “I never preached a sermon without thinking that possibly the Lord may come before I preach another.” Dr. G. Campbell Morgan, the distinguished British clergy-man, said, “I never begin my work in the morning without thinking that perhaps he may interrupt my work and begin His own. I am not looking for death. I am looking for Him.” That is the way a Christian should live his life – in the constant anticipation of the return of Jesus Christ! If we could live every day as though it may be the very last one before the final judgment, what a difference it would make here on earth! But we don’t like to think that way. We don’t like to think that our carefully made plans, our long range schemes may be interrupted by the trumpet of God. Too many people would rather say, “Oh, well, the end of the world hasn’t come yet, so why think about it – it’s probably a thousand years away.”

Read More: 5 Answers from Billy Graham on End Times

Are You Rapture Ready? A Bible Study from Anne Graham Lotz

Prayer for the day
Today might be the last day when Jesus returns. Cleanse me, Father.

BlueLetterBible Daily Promises (January 6th)

For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12)

Reflection
Of course God is able-with the unsurpassed power of His mighty hand-to guard our souls for all eternity! No matter the storm that assails us, we need never fear our eternal destiny will be capsized in a sea of torment. How wonderful His lovingkindness! Let us not stand in shame of the Lord who bought us, but rather, rejoice in the wonder of His glorious Gospel!

BlueLetterBible Daily Promises (January 7th)

Who shall also confirm you unto the end, [that ye may be] blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 1:8)

Reflection
"How desirable is it to be confirmed and kept of Christ for such a purpose as this! How glorious are the hopes of such a privilege, whether for ourselves or others! To be kept by the power of Christ from the power of our own corruption and Satan's temptation, that we may appear without blame in the great day! O glorious expectation, especially when the faithfulness of God comes in to support our hopes!"

-Matthew Henry

Billy Graham Daily Devotional

Angels Have Charge Over Us
by Billy Graham

January 7

He is my refuge . . .
—Psalm 91:2

Modern psychiatrists say that one of the basic needs of man is security. In the 91st Psalm we are assured that in God we have the greatest of security, “There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.” If you read and reread this beautiful Psalm, you will discover that in Him we have a permanent abode and residence, and that all of the comfort, security, and affection which the human heart craves is found in Him. Perhaps no visible angels will appear in your life and mine, but God’s promise of security is nonetheless real and certain. Those who live in the realm of God have genuine safety and security.

“If angels are real, why can’t we see them?” Read Billy Graham’s answer.

Prayer for the day
Wherever I go this day, You and Your angels will be with me. Thank you, Lord, for the peace, love, and security You promise.

Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace (January 8th)

Not Hearing the Law
Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? (Galatians 4:21)
When people do not really hear what the law of God is saying, they may still desire to be under the law. Those who are lost and dying in the world often underestimate the message of the law. They may imagine that it is only calling them to attend religious services or to join a religious organization. In missing the message of the law, they choose to remain under it, trusting in their own best behavior to pass any final judgment concerning heaven or hell. This is a matter of "not hearing the law."

Many who are redeemed to new life in Christ, also want to remain under the law for spiritual growth and service. This is another case of "not hearing the law." Any believer who expects to please the Lord on the basis of "best efforts" does not really hear what the law speaks as God's will.

The law of God is not suggesting that we "be better." It is demanding that we "be holy," as holy as God. The law is not implying that we "be nicer." It is requiring that we "be loving," as loving as Christ. The law is not proposing that we "try harder." It is insisting that we "be perfect," as perfect as our Father in heaven.

The law of God is not asking us to improve ourselves or to be better than the next person. Many times this inaccurate statement is heard: "Just do the best that you can; what more could God require?" Well, God is demanding far beyond our human best. "Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law?" (Galatians 4:21). God's law is demanding that lives "be holy," "be loving," and "be perfect." Moreover, He Himself is the standard of this holiness, love, and perfection.

Dear Lord God, You are holy and loving and perfect. In and of myself, I am none of these. I stand before You without any human resources that could measure up to these heavenly realities that You alone possess. I thank You for Your mercy. I praise You for Your grace. I humbly bow before You, asking that You work more and more of Your holiness in and through my life. With no other hope than You, I ask that more of Your love might fill my life. Admitting my complete inadequacy, I ask You to transform me more and more into Your perfect image. Through Christ I pray, Amen.

Thanks to our heavenly Father for sanctifying us, presently saving us from sin's power by the presence and work of the Holy Spirit in us:
Philippians 2:12
Then the blessed day will come when we are saved from the very presence of sin altogether, glorified: Romans 5:10 and 1John 3:2

Get in the Word
by Billy Graham
January 9

Despise God's Word and find yourself in trouble. Obey it and succeed.
—Proverbs 13:13 (TLB)

As Christians, we have the Spirit of God in us. But ours is the responsibility to keep sin out of our lives so that the Spirit can produce His fruit in us. Become grounded in the Bible. As Christians, we have only one authority, one compass: the Word of God. Abraham Lincoln in a letter to a friend said, “I am profitably engaged in reading the Bible. Take all of this Book upon reason that you can, and the balance upon faith. You will live and die a better man.” Begin the day with the Book; and as the day comes to a close, let the Word speak its wisdom to your soul. Let it be the firm foundation upon which your hope is built. Let it be the Staff of Life upon which your spirit is nourished. Let it be the Sword of the Spirit which cuts away the evil of your life and fashions you in His image and likeness.

Read Billy Graham’s message on where the Bible comes from and how to read it.

Prayer for the day
Almighty God, Your Word nourishes my whole being and I praise Your holy name!

Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace (January 9th)

The Inability of the Law

For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, for the law made nothing perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God's word reveals that His law has a strategic inability. There is an arena in which the law has a "weakness and unprofitableness." The law demands perfection, but it offers no perfecting resources. "The law made nothing perfect." This inability is certainly not due to any oversight on God's part. Rather, this inability is related to that which God never intended for His law to accomplish.

The law of God was not given as a means for perfecting people (that is, of providing spiritual change). God's law was not designed to be a tool by which man could improve his spiritual condition in the sight of God. The law tells us what God wants to see in lives, but the law provides no resource to effect the necessary changes. Thus, attempting to begin or to develop a relationship with God by dependence upon our best performance will always be a hopeless venture.

Anyone who desires to approach a holy and perfect God must have a more effective expectation than one's best personal performance, measured by God's holy law. Anyone who wants to get to know God, to walk with Him, to live with Him through time and eternity, must find a better hope than the law of God.

The law of God cannot give us an initial standing before God, that is, it cannot justify us. It cannot bring us a declaration of "not guilty" in His sight. The law is also unable to develop an ongoing walk of godliness before the Lord, that is, it cannot sanctify us. It cannot transform our lives day by day into the image of Christ. For either of these precious blessings of God, a "better hope" is needed. God's grace is the "better hope" that allows us to "draw near to God," initially in new birth and continually in a maturing intimacy.

Holy Father, You are perfect in character. Your law is perfect in standard. Your law rightly demands perfection of me. Father, I ask that You remind me often that I cannot live up to that divine requirement on my own resources. Bring to my remembrance this inability of Your law. Stir my heart to trust in that better hope. Lord, I desire to walk closely with You. Thus, I trust in Your grace as the only sufficient hope that will allow me to draw near to You, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

January 8TH,2017

O ye sons of men, how long [will ye turn] my glory into shame? [how long] will ye love vanity, [and] seek after leasing? Selah. But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. (Psalm 4:2-3)

Reflection
Rejoice you poor in spirit! The Lord is ever your protector! The High King of Heaven cares for His people! Trust in His longing to do good for His children! He is faithful. He is good. He is loving. And in the end, even His children who suffer earthly poverty shall be blessed with all the riches the heavenly throne affords!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=8

January 9th, 2017

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)

Reflection
What a breath of fresh air! As Christians, we have the privilege to partake of the beautiful peace through the love of our merciful God. Praise Him! Christ has conquered sin and death! Indeed, let not our hearts be troubled, but let us take joy in the glory of Christ.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=9

January 10th, 2017

For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; (Hebrews 3:14)

Reflection
Here we have an encouragement to keep on walking the walk. God will help us to persevere. He would never give us something that we cannot do through Him. As partakers of Christ, we have the privilege of having Christ's righteousness put on us. Then God sees Christ's righteousness instead of our sin. We are allowed this privilege if we persevere in the practice and proclamation of Christianity.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=10

If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: (Isaiah 1:19)

Reflection
Even as God promised to bless His people under the Old Covenant, how much greater is the blessing under the New Covenant! Every believer is already granted all spiritual blessing in the realm heavenly. And more—for soon all of God's children will rejoice together in the fulfilment of their promised heavenly rest, drinking from rivers of living water and eating of the very tree of life itself!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=11

Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace
(January 11th)

The Inability of the Law to Sanctify

This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? (Galatians 3:2-3)

The first question here in Galatians 3 again brings to mind issues of justification. "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" We received the Holy Spirit of God to dwell in our lives when we were born again, when we became children of God. This is also when the Lord declared us justified, righteous in His sight.

How did the Spirit come to indwell us? Was it by our performance, attempting to live up to the law of God? No, it was "by the hearing of faith." We heard the good news that Christ died for our sins. We heard the truth that Jesus could forgive us of our unrighteousness. Faith was stirred in our hearts as we considered that grand message. In simple, humble faith, we asked the Lord Jesus to come into our lives, to be our personal Savior. "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name" (John 1:12).

The next two questions in our text apply this same biblical reasoning to sanctification. "Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?" To think that we can advance the process of sanctification (that is, progressive transformation unto Christlikeness) by our own human resources (that is, by the flesh) is foolishness.

What a staggering thought! Just as we could never secure justification by our own best efforts, so it is true that we can never increase personal sanctification by our own best efforts. Yes, "The just shall live by faith," initially and continually!

Dear Lord, I praise Your holy name for justifying me by faith in Your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. I am so grateful that such a blessing did not depend upon my personal ability or merit. My heart is both convicted and encouraged that sanctification is by faith as well. I am convicted, because I have often thought and acted as though I could effect more practical righteousness by my own resources. I am encouraged that there is a way that actually works, and it depends upon trusting in You. O Lord, please remind me of this glorious, gracious provision day by day, in Jesus' name, Amen.

Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace - January 12th

Then the LORD delivered to me two tablets of stone written with the finger of God, and on them were all the words which the LORD had spoken…"You have heard that it was said… But I say to you." (Deuteronomy 9:10 and Matthew 5:27-28)
Although the law of God is unable to justify or sanctify, it does have some strategic ability in God's plan for man. These verses from the Torah (Hebrew for law) and the Sermon on the Mount help us reflect upon this matter. These two profound sections of the Bible pertain to the law of God. Torah refers to the books of Genesis through Deuteronomy. These books give an extensive explanation of the message of God's law. The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) includes Jesus' clarification of man's understanding of the law.

When these portions of the Bible are read, studied, or taught, the general ability of the law is at work. In these passages the very character and will of God are revealed. The message related to those "two tablets of stone" spoke of God's character, "I the Lord, your God, am holy." The summary of this message expressed God's will for man, "be holy." The details of the message indicated what holiness would be like in conduct toward God and in relationships with others. Jesus' words would eventually extend this message of holiness even into attitudes of the heart.

The law of God is His standard for spiritual measurement. By His law, God measures holiness in people's lives by revealing His will, which is based upon His holy character. This is why all of us "fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). We don't measure up to God's holy standard.

The measuring instruments of man are a helpful illustration of the law. When a tape measure is used to evaluate the height of people, it measures growth or reveals the absence of it. It does not produce human growth. So it is with the law of God. The law describes and measures what God wants lives to look like. It does not cause such spiritual growth to appear. Only God's grace at work in our lives is the sufficient dynamic that produces spiritual growth.

O Lord, my hope, I give You praise for Your holy character, revealed in Your holy law. I agree with Your will, desiring holiness in my life. I also agree with You that I have fallen far short of Your glorious standard. Thank You for cleansing me of all unrighteousness. Thank You for clothing me in the righteousness of Your dear Son. Now I place my hope in You for any and all progress in the path of righteousness. O Lord, have Your way in my life, working Your will, by Your grace, through Jesus Christ my Lord, Amen.

Daily Promises - January 12, 2018

He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. (Psalm 145:19)

Reflection
Fear the Lord and seek Him on His heavenly throne and you will be given the desires of your heart. So fervent is the believer's desire to see God and please Him that God is well pleased to fulfil this desire. These that seek God shall see Him! This is incredible! This is amazing! There is no reason that man in his shabby and sinful existence has any right to expect God to reveal Himself. Yet God has given His children surpassing desire to see Him and He in mercy will show Himself to His children! Glory!

He will fulfil the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them. (Psalm 145:19)

Reflection
Fear the Lord and seek Him on His heavenly throne and you will be given the desires of your heart. So fervent is the believer's desire to see God and please Him that God is well pleased to fulfil this desire. These that seek God shall see Him! This is incredible! This is amazing! There is no reason that man in his shabby and sinful existence has any right to expect God to reveal Himself. Yet God has given His children surpassing desire to see Him and He in mercy will show Himself to His children! Glory!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=12

And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve [me] unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom [be] glory for ever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:18)

Reflection
Worry. Anxiety. Fear. Timidity. This is the way of the old man. Yet we, as believers, have been created anew to a heavenly life and spirit both bold and courageous. No longer need we fear at all, for in the Lord we have become so much more than conquerors! If God is for us-and He most certainly is-there is nothing to stand victorious against us. So fear not, O you redeemed, but rejoice in the mighty arm of the Lord!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=13

JVIM - January 13 -Daniel 6:1-10 - Time To Pray

TODAY'S DEVOTIONAL

Memory Verse
Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house; and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he kneeled upon his knees three times a day, and prayed, and gave thanks before his God, as he did aforetime (Daniel 6:10).

When trouble came, Daniel was prayed up.
This faithful prophet was in the habit of prayer.
The fact that Daniel had a regular time for prayer reveals that he counted prayer worthy of his time. He did not consider time spent in prayer wasted. If we were to total the hours most Christians spend in prayer the sum would be woefully small.
Why?
Because too many discount the importance of prayer.
Some claim to be doers while allowing others to do the praying. The truth is that most successful Christian doers are mighty in prayer. That is the reason they accomplish so much.
Since prayer is conversation with God, our Father must be grieved that we do not spend more time praying. Would not an earthly parent’s heart be broken if his children considered all other activities more important than conversing with him? How shall we answer for our lack of prayer when we appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ? (See 2 Corinthians 5:10.)
Daniel’s faithful praying saved his life. God answered his prayers and the lions were unable to harm him. Even King Darius was moved by the miracle and sent a proclamation throughout the kingdom telling of Daniel’s deliverance by the Lord.
A lion’s den may await.
Take time to pray.

https://www.jvim.com/todays-devotionals/

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore. (Psalm 16:11)

Reflection
O Delight of delights! O great Bringer of Joy! Praise the Lord all the earth. For by His name is pleasure brought and in His presence is pleasure known! Apart from His life is heard no joyous strain nor delighted laugh. All happiness bought apart from the cross is a counterfeit. Take your heart and soul and meaning in the Lord and your joy will ever be complete!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=14

JVIM - Today's Devotional - January 14
Daniel 3:1-18 Time to Stand

Memory Verse:
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up (Daniel 3:18).

Man’s vanity has often carried him to unbelievable ends. Consider Alexander the Great, the Caesars, Napoleon, or Hitler. History has a number of examples of leaders demanding worship. In the coming Tribulation period, the final world dictator will insist on being worshipped.

King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon also let pride become his undoing. Constructing a great image in the plain of Dura he demanded that at a certain signal all in his kingdom fall down and worship it. Three in the crowd wouldn’t cooperate, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, Hebrews who had been brought to Babylon in the captivity of their people. As a result of their defiance of the king’s order, these three were thrown into a burning fiery furnace. God wonderfully protected them there. As the song written about their experience says: “They wouldn’t bend; they wouldn’t bow; they wouldn’t burn.”

When the king looked into the furnace he saw four men walking in the flames. His reaction is worth remembering. He said: “Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God” (Daniel 3:25). God had not forsaken His own in their time of trial. They stood for Him and He delivered them.

They were so committed to the Lord that they were determined to be true even if no deliverance came. Those three men must have been conspicuous when all the company on the plain of Dura bowed and left them standing. But they are the only ones of that crowd that we know by name today. God honored them for standing. And He will honor those who stand for Him today.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (1 John 2:1)

Reflection
Recognition of our sin nature may bring a feeling of imperfection and grave hopelessness to our souls. However, the magnificent love of God fills this overwhelming void in our hearts through Christ Jesus. By His blood, we have a righteous advocate who presents us pure and blameless before the almighty God. Thus, we are given the tremendous victory over death as His righteousness conforms us into His image.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/

JVIM - Today's Devotional - January 15
Matthew 25: 14-30 - Faithfulness

Memory Verse:
His Lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord (Matthew 25:23).

Christians are stewards. Immediately after the return of Christ, we will all give an account of ourselves: “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that everyone may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (II Corinthians 5:10). This judgment will not determine salvation but will be to evaluate our use of time and talents in the service of our Saviour.
Looking forward to this time, Jesus stressed the importance of faithfulness. The most underestimated rewards of all time are those that will be given to the faithful from the Lord’s hand. It is not surprising that there will be some tears in heaven. When we see what could have been had we been more diligent and faithful in His work it is sure to bring some regret.
“The saddest words of tongue or pen
Are simply these: ‘It might have been.’”
Jesus set the example of being faithful. He endured the mocking, the scorn and the cross for us. How can we do less for Him? Our petty grievances seem small when measured in the light of His great sacrifice.
Why have you stopped serving? What made you resign your office? What trifle touched off your temper? What changes are necessary to have “FAITHFULNESS” describe your life? Remember, there’s a “WELL DONE” waiting for the faithful.

BLB Daily Promises (January 16th)

Blessed [are] they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. (Matthew 5:4)

Reflection
Find your warmth and care in the loving arms of the Lord for He will ever comfort you. His love for His children is enormous and unceasing. He will dry your tears and replace your sorrow with joy. He shall lift you up and shall be your strength in times of trouble.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=16

Work It Out - harvest.org
by Greg Laurie
January 16

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. —Philippians 2:12

During the Gold Rush of the mid-1800s, people came to California from all around the world because they had heard there was “gold in them thar hills.” Apparently some people imagined they would arrive and find chunks of gold just lying around in the streets. Well, there was a lot of gold in California back then, but people quickly discovered that the gold wasn’t as plentiful as they’d hoped. Yes, a lot of gold was in the mines, but it was necessary to work hard and stay with it in order to find that mother lode.
This is the idea the apostle Paul was conveying to the saints in Philippi when he wrote, “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12). We need to work out what God has worked in. We need to discover what God has done for us.
However, we don’t work for our salvation; we work it out. Salvation is a gift from God. We are told in Ephesians 2:8–9, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.” So we don’t work for it; we work it out.
Remember, Paul was directing this statement to believers. The idea of working out one’s salvation is referring to living out one’s faith—carrying it out correctly. In fact, the term work out carries the meaning of working to full completion. So we need to carry it to the goal.
As believers, the work of God is in our hearts, but we need to live it out. Like the gold seekers in California’s early days, we need to mine it. That means carrying to the goal and fully completing our own salvation with fear and trembling.

https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/2018-01-16

BLB Daily Promises (January 17th)

Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son [to be] the propitiation for our sins. (1 John 4:10)

Reflection
Our love for God cannot save us, but His love for us can. It is because of His love that we are given His grace to enter the kingdom of heaven (Ephesians 2:8).

My Prayer: Thank you for Your endless love! It is only through your grace that I can be granted eternal life.

The Answer to Doubt
by Greg Laurie
January 17

"I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life."—John 5:24

One question that I’m often asked is, can Christians lose their salvation? People are afraid of this, and I think it’s for good reason. New believers often experience moments of doubt, and so do Christians who have known the Lord for many years. In fact, the first temptation the serpent presented in the Garden of Eden was to doubt God. He said to Eve, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?” (Genesis 3:1). In other words, “Did God really say what you thought He said?”
When you have thoughts like, Maybe I’m not saved; maybe Christ really isn’t living inside of me, you need to stand on the Word of God, not on your emotions, because emotions will fluctuate. When they do, here are some Scriptures to remind you of God’s faithfulness:
All who believe in the Son of God know in their hearts that this testimony is true. (1 John 5:10)
For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children. (Romans 8:16)
“I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.” (John 5:24)
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)
During His temptation in the wilderness, Jesus responded to each challenge with the words, “It is written,” and then He quoted the Scriptures. Jesus stood on ground that we, too, can occupy. As we quote the Scriptures, it will bolster our faith. That is why we need to know the Word of God.

https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/2018-01-17

BLB Daily Promises (January 18th)

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. (James 1:17)

Reflection
Absolutely every good thing comes from our Father who tends to all our needs according to His purpose. Amazingly, our gracious Father never changes, but remains the same through all eternity. May we continue to give thanks to Him who pours forth His love and peace to all who believe.

Eyes to See
by Billy Graham
January 18

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light...
—Acts 26:18

The blind man, Bartimaeus, threw off his cloak and ran trembling to Jesus. And Jesus said, “What do you want me to do for you?” He said, “Lord, that I may receive my sight.” In that moment as he said, “Lord,” his spiritual eyes were opened. And Jesus said, “Your faith has made you whole.” Notice-not your intellectual understanding, not your money, not your works-but your faith. Faith! That’s all it takes! Immediately Bartimaeus, who had been blind all of his life, began to open his eyes, and the first thing he saw was the face of Jesus. What an experience-to open one’s eyes and look straight into the strong, tender face of Jesus! Bartimaeus met Jesus and the record says he “followed Jesus in the way.” When you go back to your business, or your home, or your neighborhood, or your friends, or your school, you don’t go alone. Christ goes with you.

Go deeper: Listen to Billy Graham’s message on spiritual blindness

Prayer for the day
Thank You, Lord Jesus, for healing me from my spiritual blindness!

https://billygraham.org/devotion/eyes-to-see/

I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him. (Hosea 14:4)

Reflection
Praise be to God that He, in the midst of our depravity, drew us to Him with the sweet chords of His melodious grace. We were wretched and iniquitous, yet He chose to love us freely. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord, provider of our salvation and promise of hope!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=19

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose. (Romans 8:28)

Reflection
All things. Every circumstance. The entire realm of possible events. All of these conspire toward a single goal: the good of the Redeemed! Whether trial or blessing, whether great joy or greater sorrow, whether prosperity or suffering, every last detail in the universe works together for the benefit of God's children!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=20

JVIM - Today's Devotional - January 20
Mark 10:35-45

The Mighty and the Minister
For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many (Mark 10:45).
James and John, like many of us, longed for places of power: “They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.” Jesus rebuked them for their carnal craving and taught them the value of ministering. That, He said, was His purpose in coming to earth.

And what a minister He was. As a boy in the temple, at the age of twelve, He ministered to the religious leaders, answering their questions. He ministered to the sick. They came to Him with all manner of diseases and He healed them all. He ministered to the grieving, weeping with them, and often He went to the heart of their grief, restoring their loved ones who had been lost in death. He ministered to children and parents. Though He was here on heaven’s most important mission, He had time to lay His hands on little children and pray for them. He ministered to His disciples, taking a towel and basin and washing their feet. He ministered to lost sinners, explaining the way of eternal life. He ministered to a multi-married woman at the well of Samaria and gave her living water to quench her thirst of soul. He ministered to a dying thief who longed to be forgiven for a life of sin and to be remembered in the Kingdom. He ministered to His crucifiers as He prayed for their forgiveness.

What lessons there are in the life of Jesus to show us the sin of self exaltation! He humbled Himself and gave His life a ransom. We will do well to follow His steps by ministering to others today.

[[A Song of degrees.]] I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help [cometh] from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)

Reflection
From the high places that surround us come every foe and bandit, seeking to destroy us and make of nothing our faith. How can we stand against such villainy? Where are we to turn for aid in the spiritual war in which all the children of God are engaged? Turn to the Lord. He is your help. The creator of heaven and earth who holds power over every living thing will protect His child from every spiritual harm. Take comfort and love Christ.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=21

Hoekstra's Day by Day by Grace - (January 21st)

The New Covenant Inaugurated for the Church

But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises…And the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us…"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts"…Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us. (Hebrews 8:6; 10:15-16, 19-20)

This new covenant of grace (promised to Israel eventually) has already been inaugurated for the church now. The book of Hebrews documents this fact repeatedly. "But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises." Here in chapter 8, verse 6, the new covenant is referred to as "a better covenant." Then, the instituting of this new covenant is described in the past tense, "was established." It has already been put into operation for the church.

In Hebrews 10:16, the promise of the new covenant is quoted from Jeremiah 31. "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts." In the previous verse, we are told that this quote from Jeremiah includes a message from the Holy Spirit to us, the church of Jesus Christ. "And the Holy Spirit also witnesses to us."

Furthermore, in Hebrews 10:19-20, the new covenant is applied to the access of the "brethren" (the church, God's children) to their holy God and Father. "Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way which He consecrated for us." Through His death on the cross, Jesus consecrated (that is, inaugurated, instituted, established, put into operation) the new covenant for us today!

Of course, this all fits perfectly with the application of the new covenant to the church celebrating the Lord's Supper. "In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood'"(1 Corinthians 11:25).

Dear Lord of Glory, I rejoice with great gladness that Your new covenant of grace is the wondrous manner in which I am invited to relate to You. In this rich covenant, I have found forgiveness of all my sins. Praise be to Your name! In this bountiful arrangement, I can grow in intimacy with You. Blessed be Your name! In this generous provision, I anticipate being changed and enabled by You from deep within my heart. Glory be to Your name forevermore!

But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. (Acts 15:11)

Reflection
Sweet is the aroma of such a glorious salvation as ours. When once we bloated in our spiritual death-rot, we now stand cleansed and brilliant, arrayed in robes of purest white and crowned with life eternal. We were dead. We were destined for death everlasting. Yet now, believer rejoice! For our destiny is life never-ceasing!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=22

For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. (Psalm 27:5)

Reflection
Impregnable is the bulwark of defence the Lord has provided in the regenerative blood of His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ! Take great courage and comfort in the sure bastion of the Lord's sovereign plan. He cannot be thwarted. He cannot be dismayed. His chosen people can never be trampled or destroyed. Be strong in passion for this truth and proceed in your battle boldly! You are called to righteousness and evangelism-and God's power will be your power in these things.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=23

Our Example to Follow
by Greg Laurie
January 23, 2018

Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them. —Mark 9:2-3
The miracle of the Transfiguration wasn’t that Jesus shined like the sun; the miracle was that He didn’t shine like the sun all the time. When Jesus came to Earth, He never gave up His deity. But we might say that He shrouded His glory and laid aside the privileges of His deity.
Jesus Christ is God. He is a member of the Trinity, coequal and coeternal with the Father and with the Holy Spirit. Jesus was God before He was born, and He remained God after He became man. His deity was prehuman, pre-Mary, and pre-Bethlehem.
Jesus laid aside not His deity, but the privileges of deity, to model what it is to be a servant. Paul told the believers in Philippi, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men” (Philippians 2:5–7).
We are to follow His example. If Jesus could lay aside the privileges of divinity, then how much more should we, as human beings with sinful hearts, be willing to put the needs of others above ourselves?
This isn’t easy. In fact, we could say that it’s virtually impossible—apart from the power of the Spirit. This is not so much about imitation as much as it is about impartation—Christ Himself living in us and giving us His love and power. It’s the only way we can put the needs of another person above our own, love people whom we really don’t like all that much, or effectively die to ourselves. It seems impossible. But this is the way God has called us to live.

https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/2018-01-23

Christian Basics Devotionals
https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/by-topic/christian-basics

For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building. (1 Corinthians 3:9)

Reflection
Once we have devoted our lives to Christ, we become a working part to further the kingdom of God. We are His field that He cultivates as we produce fruits for His glory. We are the structure of His building as He resides in our hearts. Yet, we are only His field and building by the grace of God. The triumph of Christ over death allows us to be used to His glory. After all, to be used of Christ is one of the greatest blessings in the Christian life.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=24

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (Luke 10:19)

Reflection
The compelling blood of Christ offers great power to Christians as they fight this spiritual battle against evil. By the magnificent name of Jesus Christ, we can conquer all things and nothing shall destroy us! We are victorious because Christ is with us; therefore, no one could possibly be against us (Romans 8:31).

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=25

The Question of the Ages
by Greg Laurie
January 25, 2018

While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, saying, "What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?"
—Matthew 22:41-42

Without question, Jesus Christ is the most controversial figure who has ever lived. He is loved, worshiped, and followed by some. He is hated, despised, and rejected by others. He is disregarded and ignored by most. But it always will come down to Jesus.

Who is Jesus? Two thousand years ago, Christ Himself asked the question: “What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?” (Matthew 22:42). And to this very day, people are still confused about the answer. Maybe there has never been a time when more people profess faith in Jesus yet at the same time have no clue as to who He really is.

Many will speak with respect about Christ. They will say things like, “I believe that Jesus was a great prophet” or “I believe that Jesus was a messenger sent from God” or “I believe that Jesus was the best of all men.”

Yet the Bible teaches that Jesus Christ was the unique Son of God, not a man becoming God. He was God becoming a man. The Bible teaches that Jesus is the second member of the Trinity. And it also teaches that He was supernaturally conceived in the womb of the Virgin Mary. He was not merely a good teacher but the greatest teacher—God in human form.

The Bible teaches that Christ was physically crucified and that He bodily rose from the dead. The Bible also teaches that Jesus was not one god among many but is the only God, equal with the Father and above all others. That is why the death of Jesus, and the death of Jesus alone, meets the righteous requirements of God.

Jesus never became God. He always was God. He walked among us as an ordinary looking man, yet He was God incarnate.

https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/2018-01-25

"Fair Use for Information and Discussion Purposes"

And I will bring the blind by a way [that] they knew not; I will lead them in paths [that] they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them. (Isaiah 42:16)

Reflection
The incredible love of the Father shines upon His children bringing them out of their evil darkness and into His glorious light. His light guides His people through the shadows of death. And through the grave difficulties of their lives, they are brought into places of indescribable peace and joy. As believers of Christ, we are promised this ever-present light that will lead us into the gracious sanctuary of the Lord. In this we can find hope in an everlasting rest.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=26

"Fair Use for Information and Discussion Purposes"

Thou [art] my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word. (Psalm 119:114)

Reflection
The Lord promises to protect us from the attacks of our enemy, the Devil. It is in God's Word that we find the salvation that gives us hope to live

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=27

For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the LORD. (Proverbs 8:35)

Reflection
Whatever wisdom exists finds its identity in the person and being of Christ Himself. Seek this wisdom and thereby seek out the Lord of our rest. In Him alone lies all life and love and joy and meaning. Turn to Him and embrace true wisdom! Turn to Him and be comforted with the promise of eternal Sabbath! In Christ alone stands our hope!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=28

Psalm 44
https://gracethrufaith.com/the-psalms/psalm-44/

July 11, 2017
We have heard with our ears, O God; our fathers have told us what you did in their days, in days long ago. With your hand you drove out the nations and planted our fathers; you crushed the peoples and made our fathers flourish. It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes. I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.
Selah

But now you have rejected and humbled us; you no longer go out with our armies. You made us retreat before the enemy, and our adversaries have plundered us. You gave us up to be devoured like sheep and have scattered us among the nations. You sold your people for a pittance, gaining nothing from their sale. You have made us a reproach to our neighbors, the scorn and derision of those around us. You have made us a byword among the nations; the peoples shake their heads at us.

My disgrace is before me all day long, and my face is covered with shame at the taunts of those who reproach and revile me, because of the enemy, who is bent on revenge.

All this happened to us, though we had not forgotten you or been false to your covenant. Our hearts had not turned back; our feet had not strayed from your path. But you crushed us and made us a haunt for jackals and covered us over with deep darkness.

If we had forgotten the name of our God or spread out our hands to a foreign god, would not God have discovered it, since he knows the secrets of the heart? Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.

Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever. Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression? We are brought down to the dust; our bodies cling to the ground. Rise up and help us; redeem us because of your unfailing love.

And elderly farm couple was driving along a country road in their battered old pickup, when a shiny new convertible swooped past them. The two young people in the convertible were seated so close together, her head on his shoulder and his right arm holding her tight, they almost looked like one. The old woman looked across the bench seat to her husband of 40 years and said dreamily, “Remember back when we used to sit that close together?” The old man replied, “I’ve never moved.”

Sometimes it feels like we’re out there all alone. Our God, Who once felt so close to us now seems so far away. It’s a dark hour. Where is He? Why doesn’t He respond?

He created us for a love relationship with Him. It’s the only thing He needs from us, and He needs it so badly that He gave His life to make it possible. His love is the one thing we can count on in this world. His mercies are new every morning. There’s no way, having gone to such extremes to redeem us that He would ever abandon us. “And surely I am with you always,” He said, “To the very end of the age.” (Matt. 28:20)

When Peter, having gotten out of the boat and begun walking on the water, began to sink, he cried out, “Lord! Save me!” Immediately the Lord was at his side, holding him up, bringing him back to the boat. There’s no place you can go where He cannot rescue you the minute you ask.

If you feel so far away, maybe you’re the one who’s moved. Try confessing your sins and then ask Him if you’ve somehow taken the wrong fork in a road you were going down together. Spend more time reading your Bible, praying. You’ll find him again.

And when you do, and recall how close the two of you used to be, you’ll hear Him gently say, “I’ve never moved.”

Grace thru Faith is a 501(c)3 non-profit. Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find [him], if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. (Deuteronomy 4:29)

Reflection
If we seek God, it is promised that we shall find Him. How wondrous then that it is God who makes us to be seekers of Him! In His beautiful supremacy over the history of His redemptive purpose, God has ignited in each of His chosen people, a divine and unquenchable spark of desire to know Him. So rest, O believer, assured in the fact that you love God because He first loved you—and because of His love for you, He will in nowise cast you out!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=29

The Heart of the Matter
by Greg Laurie - https://www.harvest.org
January 29

"But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance."—Matthew 9:13
When Jesus walked this earth, He reserved His most scathing words for self-righteous, religious hypocrites. When a woman caught in the act of adultery was brought before Jesus, the religious elite said to Him, “Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” (John 8:5).

Jesus stooped down and began writing something in the sand. Whatever He wrote must have been very revealing, because one by one, they all left, from the oldest to the youngest. Then Jesus turned to the woman and said, “Where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” (verse 10).

“I have none Lord,” she said.

“Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more” (verse 11).

He could have said, “Haven’t you heard what the Bible says? Why are you breaking the commandments of God?” But Jesus didn’t give her a lecture. In fact, He got rid of the religious hypocrites and dealt with her graciously. I think Jesus knew she already had realized the enormity of her sin and was willing to turn from it. Thus, He pardoned her. Does that mean Jesus approved of the way she lived? Far from it. God is very clear about how He wants us to live.

I think we spend too much time boycotting what nonbelievers do and not enough time giving them the answer to their problems. There is a place to say what we’re against. But the bottom line is that people are empty. They need to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. Let’s expend our energy there. Let’s expend our energy in proclaiming the gospel, because the heart of the matter is that people are lost. They need Christ, and we need to take that message to them.

https://www.harvest.org/devotions-and-blogs/daily-devotions/2018-01-29

JVIM - Today's Devotional - January 30

Revelation 1:1-8 The Time Is At Hand

Memory Verse: Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand (Revelation 1:3).

Israel is a nation.
Russia has a form of government built on atheism.
The Common Market moves toward a United States of Europe.
What does it all mean?
To most students of the Bible it means that we are living in the last days.
The weight of evidence for the truth of Bible prophecy is now so strong that any informed person would have to close his eyes to escape seeing its fulfillment.
Christ is coming!
He will come in fulfillment of His promise to the disciples:“I will come again, and receive you unto myself” (John 14:3).
He will come as promised by the two angels who appeared at His ascension. These heavenly messengers announced, “This same Jesus, who is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven” (Acts 1:11).
He will come as described by Paul, the apostle: “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16,17).
Yes, Jesus will return.
“Even so, come, Lord Jesus” (Revelation 22:20).

Thou [art] my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah. (Psalm 32:7)

Reflection
The Lord our God is the High King of Deliverance! There is no calamity so great that He might be unable to rescue us. Even when we were dead of spirit and purebred haters of Him, He saw fit to rescue us from ourselves. He gave the dead new life. There is no difficulty so strong that He cannot save us. Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and He will surely deliver!

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=30

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (1 John 1:7)

Reflection
My Prayer: Dearest Father, please cause me to desire to walk in Your light. Make me to take such joy in the fellowship of the body of Your Son and in His shed blood that Your light will overflow from my life.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotionals/promises/index.cfm?doy=31