Rapture Flight to Heaven

​​​​​​​
Pre-Tribulation Rapture Forum ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

In Loving Memory
  April 29, 1947 - September 5, 2020

Update: On Saturday, September 5th, 2020, the founder, administrator, and head moderator of this forum, Valerie S., went Home to be with the Lord.  Her obituary can be found on https://memorials.demarcofuneralhomes.com/valerie-skrzyniak/4321619/index.php.

This posting is dedicated to the forever memory and honor of Valerie, who was the founder of, and the inspiration for, this Web site.  The Web site will continue to operate in Valerie's remembrance, as requested by her family.  God bless!

Dedicated to God  the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit​​​​​​​
1 Thessalonians 4:15-18

For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.     

​​​​​​​2 Timothy 4:7-8
For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing

PRE-TRIBULATION RAPTURE - MAIN Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What does the Bible say about Fasting?

"Fair Use for Information & Educational Purposes'

What does the Bible say about Fasting?

What does it mean to FAST in the Bible? What is the purpose of fasting? In Matthew 9 John the Baptist's disciples made a special trip to ask Jesus an interesting question.

"Then the disciples of John came to Him, saying, 'Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but Your disciples do not fast?' And Jesus said to them, 'Are the children of the bridechamber able to mourn while the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then they shall fast." (Matthew 9:14-15, HBFV)
Jesus is telling us that while there is a time not to fast, there are times when we need to.

What does it mean to fast?

What is the Biblical definition of fasting? It means to not ingest or take in ANY food or ANY water for a particular period of time. We find this definition in the book of Esther, where the Queen asks her uncle Mordecai to request others fast for her.

. . . fast for me, and do not eat nor drink three days, night or day. My maidservants and I will also fast in the same way. (Esther 4:16)
Biblical fasting is carried out for at least a day or more. As is hinted at in the Esther quote above, a complete day is considered from sunset of one day to sunset the next day.

Why do it?

One reason that fasting is a part of being a Christian is that we live in an evil world. If we are not careful, we can be lured into indulging in sin just like those who are not converted. We must be like Lot, who Peter said withstood the evil influences around him that came from living in Sodom and near Gomorrah (2Peter 2:7-8).

We need to maintain a close, personal relationship with our Father in heaven if we are to have any chance at resisting evil. Fasting draws us into a closer relationship with God and sharpens our focus to seek His perfect will in our daily lives.

Sometimes a fast is needed in order to petition God and to seek his favor for others. The early New Testament church fasted and prayed for Paul and Barnabas' ministry (Acts 13). Early believers also fasted and prayed when choosing leaders in the church (Acts 14:23). David fasted for the life of his baby through Bathsheba after he had committed adultery with her then set up having her husband killed in battle (2Samuel 12:15-16, 22). The people of Nineveh, a gentile nation, fasted for God's mercy (Jonah 3).

Lastly, contemporary dietary science is only now becoming aware of the health benefits of fasting. Recent studies done at the United States National Institutes of Science indicating that longer life, resistance to diabetes and other illness and better weight control are the results of moderate program of fasting.

How often should we fast?

Christians are commanded by God to fast at least one day a year, during the holy day known as the Day of Atonement (also called Yom Kippur - Leviticus 23:32). We should, however, try to fast a few times each year. Paul fasted on a regular basis (2Corinthians 11:27). Jesus did not eat or drink for forty days so that he could fully resist the temptations of the devil. We should fast whenever we feel the need to seek God, become aware of our need to be strengthened spiritually or to petition God for the good of others.

Preparation

The first thing one should do is stop drinking anything with caffeine in it, coffee, regular black tea (herbal teas may be beneficial) or soda pop in the week preceding any fast. Instead, one should drink pure filtered water (not bottled) just before you begin your fast so you will be adequately hydrated and will not get a headache or other ailments.

With certain kinds of health conditions (such as diabetics, etc.), you should consult with a doctor or other medical professional before going, for any period of time, without food or water.
In conclusion

Fasting is meant to be a private act between us and God. We are warned by Jesus himself not to be proud of or boast to others that we are fasting in the hope they will think we are 'spiritual' and close to God (Matthew 6:16-18). It is also important to remember that fasting is not an end unto itself. It should, of course, draw us close to God and focus our minds to think like he does. But it should ultimately lead us to help those who are oppressed, feeding those who are hungry, providing shelter for those who have none, and giving clothes to those who are in grave need (Isaiah 58:6-7).

http://www.biblestudy.org/basicart/what-is-fasting-and-why-should-we-do-it.html