Homepage of gail hart Forum

Welcome to the Forum. Feel free to start a topic, post a question, an answer, a comment, a message, or an opinion!

Homepage of gail hart Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
questions about a birth/bleeding

So I attended my first birth on Wednesday.

I was wondering about the possible causes of excessive bleeding in women who've just delivered.

We were at XXX hospital and they required constant fetal monitoring of the mom because there was meconium in her water. They informed her that she was going to have to stop pushing once the baby's head came out in order to do deep suctioning. I asked her if this was what she wanted and let her know that she could ask more questions, but she seemed to be ok with suctioning, said it seemed safer. Her labor went super fast and the nurse didn't recognize any of her breathing changes and needed convincing that we needed the CNM right away. She was doing really great with her hypnobirthing breathing.

But with the suctioning, they made her climb onto the table at the last minute (she was in a good squat that she didn't want to move out of) and started doing directed pushing with her. She kinda seemed to get really scared and freeze up at the end.

She had a lot of bleeding and pain after and was given a pitocin shot in the leg and an iv.

What I was wondering is if keeping the mother more comfortable and in a less stressed non-supine position has any effect on bleeding?

Is it just based on the woman and her particular body?

Are there nutritive or tonic teas that a woman can drink during labor that are safe and might help ahead of time to curb bleeding? (She was drinking a nettle/red raspberry/alfalfa tea, which seemed to be the only thing she could stomach during labor).

Kinsey

Re: questions about a birth/bleeding

I totally beieve that the suction intervention did effect her greatly. Fear is our biggest hurdle. Her squat was doing the job and she was in tune to her labor. It is interesting to hear the justification of the disruption to her labor techniques. At that point it is hard to say...I would just try to avoid the disruption in the first place. Yes, yes, in a perfect world!

Email: bertaeaglehorse@yahoo.com