Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fleas in mushrooms

Can anyone tell me if fleas can live in mushrooms or not? My friend had a very bad experience tonight when she was getting ready to fry mushrooms.
She said that when she poured the salt on them that there was millions of small bugs that looked like fleas to her came to the top of the water and they were jumping @ like fleas. After 3 washings she said that there was still some in the mushrooms.
Any guesses??????

Email: mistyhightower@yahoo.com

State: indiana

Re: fleas in mushrooms

i find them alot in mine too. i'm not sure what they are but if u quickly soak and salt then rinse each mushroom 1 by 1,3-4-5 times!, then set them on something white u can see the tiny buggers. UCK

Email: shawnl@mchsi.com

State: Albia, Iowa

Interesting ... I went mushroom hunting for the first time today and logged on here to learn more. I rinsed and cut my mushrooms in half before soaking and one of the mushrooms had these 'fleas' inside too. I rinsed them out and am soaking the mushrooms overnight. Hope they're ok to eat. :-) I'll wait to read an experienced mushroomer's response. Thanks!

Email: jillbalkema@hotmail.com

State: Illinois

soak in saltwater over night is fine or2-3days. i have in the past even longer.thay can get too wet,and soft. soaking is importen,because besides bugs also sand in the shrooms. good luck and in joy them. lots of ways to eat them shrooms. need any tips? i have been hunting shroom 45 years now,and look forward to each years hunt.

Email: jackieccc@charter.net

State: SE. MN>

I wouldn't soak them for 2 or three days. The longer you soak them, the blander they taste. Soak them in salt water for a couple hours then rinse good under the faucet. I find a lot of these little bugs too. Don't think a few will hurt you. Never has hurt me.

State: MI

They are just springtails, not fleas. They are in almost all mushroom types. Just dip you morels in warm salt water for a minute or so before cooking and rinse them out. They will definately not hurt you. Rinsing them will also help take out the maggots!

Email: cazthedesigner@hotmail.com

State: CA

Yeh I hate those little bugs (Not fleas) also, but you can't avoid a few of them I guess. I am sure we have all eaten them and still live on...lol. I just justify that by the time we fry the heck out of them they disappear into nothing since they are so small to begin with! But, I usually rinse my mushrooms (cut in half first) in 3 stages of salt water. Then I rinse them individually under the sink. It is a tedious process I guess, but that is what I do to get most of them out. Never saw a maggot in one! lol

Email: doony62@yahoo.com

State: South Dakota

have never found springtails on a morel here in wis. just lots of taterbugs, and slugs. have found them on the hen of the woods though. i'll have to keep an eye out for them this year.

State: wi.