Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do you supplement soil for growing morels

I have many pounds of dry and moist morel in a place that is moist and sort of shady. I water it and have used mushroom composte on it. What else should I do to grow the wild ones on my own property? Kel

Email: kelbord@wideopenwest.com

State: il

Re: How do you supplement soil for growing morels

Kel,

I will continue to watch to see if anyone is able to offer any additional advice. Did you purchase a kit or is this your own mixture? I have still not seen any evidence that artificial Morel production is robust or sustainable (Even though there are claims to the contrary).

Email: john@morelsandmore.com

State: Illinois

Re: Re: How do you supplement soil for growing morels

FYI
There was a Home and Garden show in Columbus, Ohio late in this past winter. There were vendors who were selling home grown morel kits and there was a write up in the Columbus Dispatch newspaper.(fishwrapper)

Email: gates.65@osu.edu

State: OHIO

Re: How do you supplement soil for growing morels

I remember reading something on a Michigan State publication by the guy who discovered how to cultivate morels. He had the same problem of discovering some catalyst to start the process. His solution was to burn elm tree sapplings and mix the ashes with the spores. I've seen where a lot of the kits suggest the same. I guess that explains why burn sites are so full of shrooms. Hope this helps.

Email: cwhisman@designforum.com

State: Ohio