Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Hunter

I picked morels for the first time yesterday. My dad found one on his property and asked me what it was. When we figured out what we had we were quite surprised at what a big deal they are. We ended up picking almost 15lb. in about an hour! Some of them were turning orange and getting soft. Just wondering how you tell if they are too old? Also, how much longer will the season last in S.W. WI? Would appreciate any help on that.

Keith

Email: kdavis@csmc.net

State: WI

Re: New Hunter

I have been hunting morels for years and have never seen morels be squishy soft. I have had them be drying out and put them in water to hydrate for 10-30 minutes. I eat them except if the are moldy and then usually just cut away anything not slightly firm.
cut lengthwise once or twice dredge in flour shake off excess, fry in butter. eat and repeat.
Or make a butter, flour and milk white sauce put over pasta or add into veggie beef soup.
Do not eat raw -cooking releases full flavor.

Seasons come and go as quickly as they came. I would rehunt areas you already hunted for a couple of days after you think you got them all. Especially after a rain when the leaf litter in the woods has been flattened. A word or advice keep your hunting areas secret or else next year everyone you told and their mama, brother and granny will be walking through your patch.
And take time to thank the lord for sharing the bounty of the forest.
large1

Email: gates.65@osu.edu

State: Ohio

Re: Re: New Hunter

Thanks for the advice. I think they were soft cause they were a couple days past prime and we have had heavy rains here (they also had mold on them). But i did find some more in the same area a couple days later (5-16-06) that were brand new and very nice.

Keith

Email: kdavis@csmc.net

State: WI

I too have always used flour to coat my shrooms,but this year my wife suggested trying "Drake's" batter mix! At first I thought a batter on morels that is unheard of,but after more thought I realized that she ment to use it as I would the flour(as a dry coating)and fry in butter as I normally would. This new found coating seems to have a better flavor and seems to bring out more of the flavor of the shrooms. Just thought I would give a little input of my own findings (and my wife's) on cooking and coating of the ever elusive morel! Happy Hunting and even Happier Eating!!!!!

State: Michigan

Re: Re: Re: New Hunter

What is Drake's batter mix? Do you find it in the store? Sheryl

Email: doony62@yahoo.com

State: Minnesota or South Dakota

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Hunter

Yes Sheryl you do find it in a store,but I'm not sure they sell it in your area!! Look in the batter mix area at your local supermarket,it has a white duck on the package or ask a store clerk if they sell it there!!! Hope you get the chance to try it or you mat even find a different kind that works just as well!! Good Luck and Happy Eating!!!!!!

State: Michigan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New Hunter

Thanks for the info! I will look for it! Sheryl

Email: doony62@yahoo.com

State: Minnesota or South Dakota

I have been hunting morels all of my life. I can't remember the first time I went hunting. The only way my family ever cooked them was to make a dry dip of one part flour and two parts corn meal. Put in a plastic bag, dip the mushroom in water or buttermilk and drop in the bag, shake and drop into a skillet of hot oil and fry until golden brown. To prepare our shoons we always split them in half and soaked them for three or four hours, even over night in a frig. in salt water. This was done to kill and chill out any creepy criters in side the shoons. This is the way mt.people fry fish and is why they are called dry land fish in this part of the country.

Email: Mbegley4@charter.net

State: Tennessee