Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help?!?!?!

I bought the "Seal-a-Meal" to vacuume pack the mushrooms this year (I am planning on the motherload) to keep them longer. Do you think this will work and how shouuld I do it? Blanch them first or just soak them? Should I dry them before doing the sealing??? Help? I eat so many each year I get really sick, so I got this vacuume sealer to spread it out throughout the year. I hope it works.

Email: stephanie_rue@hotmail.com

State: IL

Re: Help?!?!?!

my mother and grandmother and I have tried several ways over the years to keep mushrooms. My grandmother liked to dry them, easier for her to keep. mom and I put them on a tray, after soaking and drying, put the tray into the freezer, freezing them whole. them put them into bags and back into the freezer. usually double bags help. Any time we tried someway different we only did a small amount to find out how it worked. That way you don't blow your whole crop. good luck.

Email: freebird4life3@hotmail.com

State: TN

Re: Help?!?!?!

Hi Stephanie, I have done all kinds of trials. The best that I have found, if you want them breaded, is to clean and cut them as you normally would, batter them as you normally would, lay them on a cookie sheet and quick freeze. Then they can be put in a bag and they won't stick together. You have to use these up pretty quickly, tho. I kept mine for about 6 months. I would take them right out of the bag and into the cooking oil or butter.

Email: pak11527@aol.com

State: North central Indiana

Re: Re: Help?!?!?!

I dry mine then use the sealer and freeze them I have just used up the last from the killer year 2003 they were great now I need another killer year.

Email: nell41@chartermi.net

State: Michigan

Re: Re: Re: Help?!?!?!

I cut and dried half the 4lbs that we got and sealed them in the seal-a-meal. It only filled up 1/2 a quart bag though. Are they going to expand when I rehydrate them??? I sure hope so. It seems like a waste for the 2 lbs to shrink sooooo much. My boyfriend hasn't seen them yet either. I'm scared to show him how much they shrank. Thanks for the help!

Email: stephanie_rue@hotmail.com

State: IL