Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is this?

I found this growing from a trunk of a tree in the woods. It probably weighs about 3 pounds. Is this okay to eat?

State: IN

Re: What is this?

This looks like hen of the woods or swammi. It's usually harvested in the fall from oak stumps. It's not very flavorful and kind of stringy...but a lot of people love it. I'm not among them and am spoiled by morels. Go on line and find out if this is what it is and go back into the woods in the fall if you want to try these. good luck and happy hunting-

Email: bfwm1993@aol.com

State: OH

Re: Re: What is this?

Teri, thanks for the reply. I wrote a mushroom expert about what I found. He says it's an oyster mushroom. And it looks like it's beyond the edible stage:( This is what the underside looks like -

Re: Re: Re: What is this?

my advice...dont eat it

Email: bdriffel

State: in

Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this?

When in doubt...don't!

Email: john@morelsandmore.com

State: Central Illinois

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this?

That is definetly not Hen of the Woods!

State: wisconsin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this?

After I found out from a mushroom expert (he's written two books on wild mushrooms) that it was an oyster musthroom, I fixed some of it like I would morels - dipped in flour and fried in vegetable oil. And it was really delicious! Tasted like a morel.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What is this?

thats what i thought it was to but message to all if you dont know dont eat it the best way is learn whats edible leave the rest alone

Email: nouserooster@yahoo.com

State: ohio