Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

Does anyone know whether a given patch will always produce the same color of morel? My observations indicate that the answer is probably yes.

Email: robertvillhard@yahoo.com

State: MO

Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

ive found greys and yellows together all the time

Email: bdriffel

State: in

Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

Almost all mushroom hunters talk about grey's and yellow's or blondes. Those are all threr the same exact species of mushroom known as the common morel they just change colors at different stages of growth and the amount of moisture avaliable can also alter their color. There are only three species of morel where I'm at in MO. The black morel is a small morel that usualy comes up a week to a week and a half before the commons.Th common is the best and meatiest. The half-free or "pecker-heads" are a skinny very fragile morel that comes up all spring but you have to find them quick because they dry up fast.When you see grey, yellow, or white morels in the woods,they're actually the same species, although a lot of redneck's around here will argue that point with you. You can go to the missouri department of conservation's website and search "morel species" to learn a lot more about the variations in color and what causes it as well as pictures of the three species.

Email: kimhardy@charter.net

Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

Excellent explanation. Thanks!!

**The rednecks here in Illinois will argue which ones taste the best (I'm one of them!)

Email: john@morelsandmore.com

State: Central Illinois

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

They are all the best flavor you can carry out of the woods.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

Everyone,

Thanks for all of the feedback. You've changed my hunting pattern!

Bob

Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

the yellow and gray are not the same as the black !!! there is alot of difference besides the color there are 2 kinds of yellow on has a bigger stem and more meaty at the bottom , altho they are all morels, the size and texture is very different.

Email: jep@tds.net

State: mi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

I didn't say that yellow and black are the same species. I said that grey and yellow are the same species, morchella esculenta. The black morel is morchella elata, a different species.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

It sounds like you know your biology. But, do you know how to make it rain? Around St. Louis, the ground is mostly parched.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

If I knew how to make it rain I would be frying mushrooms rather than grilling pork-steaks. We haven't had any rain 60 miles south of St. Louis for about a week and a half. The high winds and low humidity levels have really dried everything out. I'll be fishing and listening for gobblers untill we get rain. If we don't get it soon it will be too late.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can a Patch Grow Morels of Different Colors?

OK, did my rain dance work or what? I'll be out tomorrow and Thursday.

BTW, sorry about the tornado down your way. But these things happen.