Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is anyone having any luck in my area?

HI morel hunters,
I want to thank the operators of this website for this forum.I would also like to ask if anyone has located much of anything in my area here?I found a couple yellows and few pecker heads but really nothing much to speak of yet.Our weather has been really weird[cold35-60s].Last night we got a light frost.I am curious if this will be the end of any opportunity to find any more.Will this frost burn or kill any shrooms that might have been working there way up through the composting forest floor or do you think they will still continue to grow?The last few years around where I hunt has been becoming leaner and leaner it seems.I am fairly new to hunting mushrooms[4 years]I know there are certain things that make some places better to hunt then others.I would really appreciate any insight as to what particular trees to look for and their distinquishing features.I have access to a very large area to hunt and I feel that there are alot of mushrooms here to be found.I have yet to find any blacks.I'm probably walking right past them.The ice storm we had has really knocked out the tops of many larger trees here.I was hoping this would aid in the warming of the forest floor and therefore cause more mushroom activity[no luck yet].I would really appreciate any info that anyone can provide me with regarding these issues.
STIL LOOKIN' N INDIANA,
JIM

Email: erinjimCC@peoplepc.com

State: INDIANA

Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

good morning jim

I'm from central Indiana, was out this am for 3 hrs-
found 3 small poplars. I think their just now coming because of the weird weather-I've been hunting for 40 years, but this beats all. This past thursday found
40 fresh up.

good luck

cpprhd

Email: wallacemnrv@aol.com

State: indiana

Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Thanks for the response cpprhd.I will probably go walking again this evening and see if I can possibly locate a few more.Seems like they are few and far between for the time being.I am curious as to what the signifigance of the 3 poplars is,I would like to know please?I sure hope the weather starts to change soon and warm up.I think if we do soon we will have the chance for an abundant harvest since the ground is saturated with all the on and off rain.
Good Luck Huntin'
Jim

Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

I am not sure what county you are in, but the mushrooms at the link below were found in Fountain County in Western Indiana on April 22rd. We found most by dead elm and cotton wood trees and on the northside of a fields fence line.

Click here to see the mushrooms

Email: pbenson@ffni.com

State: IN

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Hey Phil,
Appreciate the info.Looks like your having an excellent season so far huh?Thanks alot for the insight.I changed my mind about goin' out this evenin.It's ridiculously chilly!I have noticed and sorta use it as a judge of when the temp is correct,that the one time in my couple of years of hunting that I hit the "mother lode",I could not keep the skeeterz off of me.Seriously, it was pick a mushroom,swat a skeeter.Have not seen many bugs yet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Hi Jim, I live in the Grissom/Bunker Hill/ Peru area. I have found a couple of finds, each about 40 or so. They sure aren't popping like they normally would. (I have been hunting all my life) One of the batches, my gr-son and I were hunting while it was spitting snow. Now they are saying a "probable frost" again tonight! I won't give up, I will hunt till Mother's Day! Good Luck with your hunting and don't give up! Patty

Email: pak1152@peoplepc.com

State: Indiana

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Hi Patty,
I am going to try again this morning in a lil whil here.I hope to locate at least a few more to fix a meal here.I have dehydrated the few I have found so far.Good luck to you also and thanks for the response.I am hunting in the northern Randolph county area close to the Mississinawa river between Winchester and Portland,Indiana.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Hi there again Patty...what essay are you referring to???

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

It's listed on the home page of this site. In the upper right hand corner under the book that is for sale. It says "Morel Madness" by Patty Kindig

Email: pak1152@peoplepc.com

State: Indiana

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is anyone having any luck in my area?

Wow!I can relate to that stuff,bygtym.Thanks for leading me by the hand to your essay[lol!]Guess I was just in a hurry to get back out.Your essay also reminds me of my state of mind before,during,and after deer hunting season.Good luck in your hunting.