Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greys are up in Central, IL

My son and I found 27 2" greys and a 3" yellow today. They are really fresh, but we left many smaller. The hard freeze expected tonight can't be good!

Email: john@morelsandmore.com

State: Central Illinois

Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

John,
went out today around spfld, and me and three friends found ten pounds! What a year so far, worried about the frost also, because they are everywhere. I even called my brother-in-law to see if he wanted some, and him and his friends found eleven pounds today!!!

State: central illinois

Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

What I found all look like grays, but a friend said he didn't think grays got that large (biggest was about 5" including stem, the cap was 3 1/2"). They just don't have the familiar yellow color to them. Have you seen any large grays?

Email: tick2u@yahoo.com

State: IL

Re: Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

Tick, i found about ten greys yesterday, and the largest was about six inches, and the smallest three inches. Also found a mess of yellows.

Re: Re: Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

Thanks for the confirmation, shroomstalker. I just didn't think the 4 and 5 inchers picked last weekend were yellows, but I didn't have anything to compare them to. Then the one who said he didn't think grays got that big went hunting with my daughter and they brought in some more grays (just like the ones we found last weekend) and then some beautiful, but small, yellows. So we could compare the color.

I do believe the large yellows (my favorites) will be cropping soon.

Have you ever harvested any fungus such as Beefsteak off of oak trees or the ones off elm trees? I hear they're choice eating too, but I'm too cautious to try without expert opinion.

Email: tick2u@yahoo.com

State: IL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

Tick
I too am skeptical of the other types of mushrooms, although i would like to find out because I find alot of them during my miles of morel hunting. What part of illinois are you in? Around the Spfld area we are already finding the yellows, but we need heat. We are heading up north this weekend to try to find some nice public laand to hunt.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Greys are up in Central, IL

Had good luck finding large yellows around the Grafton area last weekend. They are up in the hills and big this year.
Also went out this morning around the Missouri River and found 15 real nice and fresh yellows. Alot bigger than last weeks find.
Jeff.
Gonna get more rain this week, need some heat,going out this weekend. So far been by best year in a long time.

Email: jacookalot691@sbcyahoo.net

State: Spanish Lake, Missouri