Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
End of an Era

For four generations my family and some close friends have been visiting a rural patch of forest west of Grand Rapids, MI., to hunt morels. This last Sunday, 4/17/2005, we went for the first time this year. We haven't had much rain yet so it was too dry, and we didn't find any mushrooms. What we did find made us cry: survey stakes and flags all through the woods and surrounding area. 'Our' woods will soon be developed. Oh, if only I had had the resources to purchase that land and preserve it.

I will go back next Sunday to look again. Hopefully the woods will still be there, and I can find one last mushroom with thanks to Grandpa Pat.

Email: mike71163@sbcglobal.net

State: Michigan

Re: End of an Era

I am so sorry the urban creep has caught up with your hunting grounds. The saddest part is that passing down Morel hunting through generations as your family has is a part of what it's all about. As my son has grown into a man it's one of the few things we still do together and we both look forward to it.
Take your camera and take photos of your Happy Hunting Ground for posterity.
You will find another area to hunt but it won't replace the memories and tradition that place represents.
Happy hunting and thanks for sharing this with us.

Email: john@morelsandmore.com

State: Central Illinois

How sad and sorry I was to read of what is happening to your treasured hunting ground. I am new to this, just begining my fourth year. Can't imagine how I would feel to lose my favorite spot to urban sprawl. This is in my blood now after only a short time. I'm sure it is a big part of you as well. I do hope you and your family are afforded one last opportunity to hunt there. Have a good season.

Email: Tymphonysgurl@aol.com

State: Iowa

I, too, am sorry for your experience, all in the name of development. I've had a similar, but a much smaller scale experience, when a new home builder started hauling in tree bark mulch to build up the ground between his home and mine---and he covered up the spot where my daughter experienced her first large morel find. But don't give up, there has to be other prime spots and you can start a new family tradition.

Email: tick2u@yahoo.com

State: IL