Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Way to Store ????

When and if I find any Morels in Idaho, what will be the best way for me to store them for future use?

And how do I clean them?

What is the best fieldguide book out there?

Thanks for any advice. Can you tell I am a beginner?

Email: smithgirls3@msn.com,3

State: Washington/Idaho,3

Re: Best Way to Store ????

The best way to preserve I hear is to dry them. You can use a de-hydrater or air dry on a nylon screen in the air. You can store them in jars or paper bags. Don't let any moisture get to them. To clean them just soak in salt water for a few hours and rinse. If you are going to dry them, you don't need to clean them until you use them.

Email: kickindirtdon@aol

State: Indiana

Last year, I tried 2 methods. I clean them the same way for both methods.
First, split them and wash them in a bowl of water real good but carefully. You can often blow or wash dirt out of pores.
I rolled some in flour for frying, but I only fried them for 2 mins on each side. I layered the sauted morels in a freezer bag on paper towels and put the bags in the freezer. Lasts about 4-6 months, Take them out and finish frying. You don't even have to thaw them. Tastes like you just picked them.

I also dried some using an old RonCo food dehydrater. These last for up to 2 years in the freezer. Rehydrate in water, milk, beer, or any liquid overnight. Usually end up about half the size of the original mushrooms once rehydrated. These have a little more flavor but arent as fleshy. Can also make powder out of dried morels and add to recipes for that special secret ingredient.

Email: ahistory@centurytel.net

State: Missouri

Re: Re: Best Way to Store ????

I too have used the partial frying method. I layed partially fried morels on a large baking sheet, quick froze, then put in bags for storage in the freezer. This way they don't get damaged. I still used special handling care moving them about. Patty

Email: pak1152@sbcglobal.net

Re: Re: Re: Best Way to Store ????

oops, so sorry, I meant for this icon to show

Email: pak1152@sbcglobal.net

Hello, in reply to your request, i have froze mushrooms, cooked them first, froze them with out cooking but 11 years ago my mother dryed them, I was in Az then and she mailed me a box, wounderful! She just took and needle and thread and hung them up in the kitchen. Let them dry and then you just soak them in salt water when you are ready to eat them....They were excelent...tasted just like you had just picked them,,, good luck all

Email: mhouchins@peoplepc.com

Re: Re: Best Way to Store ????

Mary, what part of Indiana are you in?

Email: coolmcool@yahoo.com

State: IN

Re: Re: Re: Best Way to Store ????

I am in southern Indiana, close to Evansville, just a litte north of it.... Have a girl friend pickin me up tommorrow, we are gonna "scout the woods" see what's up there, where are you?? Mary

Email: mhouchins@peoplepc.com

State: indiana

Re: Re: Re: Re: Best Way to Store ????

Southeast IN Lawrenceburg Aurora area Best luck I've had in 3 years was last year, found a pound of shrooms on Ebay! I have next week off, and I think I'll have to travel south. It's starting to warm up here, but don't think it will be right by then.
Let me know if you see anything popin.
Good luck!

Email: coolmcool@yahoo.com

State: IN