Return to Website

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board

Post your Morel Find Reports Here

Unique Morel Hunter's shirts, caps and a lot more!

1 Morel Mushroom Lane Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wondering????

so here is my question to hunters.i picked some 6-8 inch yellows today.the outside looked good and fresh and no bad spots.got them home to split in two and threw half awaybdue to them being orange and white mold inside.these were popped no more than 2 days but the inside were spoiled.anyone got an idea why??? we just got some rainwithin the past 3 days and also some good southernly wind 20-30 mph.any feed back would be good,curious about other hunters thoughts on this and if anyone else is finding the same thing.

State: n.w.illinios

Re: wondering????

I can shed some light on this. I am and have been executive chef of restaurants for the past 5 years of my life. This is not including the 5 years prior to becoming that and the subject matter you are dealing with is referred to as "field heat"....the brief explanation of this is...when a vegetable is picked from the farm, such as a cucumber. The outside tightly packed flesh could be cooled by standard refrigeration but the loosely packed seedy, sugary and extremely water based concentrated center would still hold its "field heat" even though you refrigerated said produce. Thus, the produce will rot from the inside out due to the wonderful environment we have created for the surviving bacteria on the inside. This applies even to the hollow but high protein packed inards of the morel mushroom. You must immerse them in a forty degree water bath using the gravity washing method to ensure the products quality. This field heat can also take place before you pick them from the ground because they may have absorbed enough sunlight to actually overheat them consequently killing them and the process of field heat could have begun before you even showed up. Hope this answers your question

Email: pvelli35@aol.com

State: il

Re: wondering????

thanks for the info it was helpful.i got 5 pounds of big fresh yellows today from a different location and no mold so i was thinking maybe the location had a hand in them going bad.

State: n.w.illinios